Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Emmanuel Florent <ef...@devaki.org> on 2003/12/13 01:05:14 UTC

[VOTE] [PROPOSAL] Adding a torque-gui repository inside of the torque project

About two years ago I started the devaki-nextobjects projects
<http://www.devaki.org/>.

Among other things this project now have to improve jar entry point
(startup), packaging and torque integration.

The proposal is to integrate this sources as torque-gui inside of the
torque project.

If this proposal to the torque development team is accepted I'll post
the material nedded for the license changes, and do the change needed to
comply with coding convention, licensing issues, with the help and
advices of Martin Poeschl during the nexts weeks.

The initial source of the proposal are the material currently available
from <http://www.devaki.org/>.

The source identified destination is a  db-torque / src / torque-gui
repository.

Emmanuel Florent

Re: [VOTE] [PROPOSAL] Adding a torque-gui repository inside of the torque project

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 11:53, Emmanuel Florent wrote:
> >   If not, we should discuss this more.
> What about a standalone project for the torque-gen ?
> I think that that proposal is rather a small component than a standalone
> project. Think about Axion, Think about an full featured IDE @apache.
> That probably would be revolutionary, but that's not my proposal.
>
> That's why I would like to refer to http://db.apache.org/newproject.html
> rather than
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

I will update the documentation.  The newproject.html document precedes
the incubation policy and is no longer accurate.  Projects should not
accept large code donations (where large is subjective, but a set of
code published under a license for use and with its own website probably
qualifies) without going through the incubator.  It does not matter
whether a project (db) plans to incorporate the code into an existing
product/subproject or keep it separate.

How many committers to torque-gui or devaki.org are currently committers
to torque?  How many committers to torque-gui are there currently? If
more than one, do they all agree on the move and change of license.  If
only one, are you used to working in a consensus based environment.

If you were already committing code to torque and there were no license
or copyright issues, then you could just add the code to torque without
going through the incubation process, so it could be taken that I am
trying to make things difficult.  But I am really just trying to make
sure we don't end up in a fight over the bureaucracy.  The ASF has
created the incubator as a process to help ensure legal matters are
attended to. It's not good for the community to try to circumvent these
processes, but to try to make them as streamlined as possible.

john mcnally

Re: [VOTE] [PROPOSAL] Adding a torque-gui repository inside of the torque project

Posted by Emmanuel Florent <ef...@devaki.org>.
>   If not, we should discuss this more.
What about a standalone project for the torque-gen ?
I think that that proposal is rather a small component than a standalone
project. Think about Axion, Think about an full featured IDE @apache.
That probably would be revolutionary, but that's not my proposal.

That's why I would like to refer to http://db.apache.org/newproject.html
rather than
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

At db.apache strong analisys should make appear that criteria 1,2,5 and
especially 4 make the proposal a good candidate for sub-project. On my
non-objective point of view warning 1 to 5 are OK.
But the solution for this proposal should for me have be what Martin
proposed :
> maybe we should reorganize our repository structure
> >
> > db-torque
> >     generator
> >     gui
> >     maven-pl

So as far as I remember ant have a gui, maven have a gui.

I only see Criteria 3 (Core developers) but it make deseaper what we are
not even talking of a sub-project. The criteria implode if you consider
having a bigger userbase of the torque-gen codebase.

So pass it is very neccessary to discuss this more.

I think about two FAQ :
- this project should have be an eclipse plugin
no because it's good practice that not to code while designing,
The principal benefit of using eclipse would have be for having a nice
docked tree.

- kind of project should have use GEF, or use the dia/xslt approach
Most of library relies on UML. I suggest to follow Amblin :
http://www.agiledata.org/essays/umlDataModelingProfile.html
to have a torque dedicated UI.

Lot thing have to be discuted again.
I'm just interessed by this.

EF

Posted by Emmanuel Florent <ef...@devaki.org>.
Hi Martin,

I had a motherboard failure and some extra work due to similar failure
at customers office what caused me extra work this W.E.
I'll be back with :
- a relicensed archive
- a draft of proposal

EF

Posted by Emmanuel Florent <ef...@devaki.org>.
An interresting reading about this is
http://incubator.apache.org/faq.html#can_Incubation_be_skipped

EF

Additional jdbc driver properties

Posted by Alexander Fedorenko <af...@informex.kiev.ua>.
Hi,

Is there a way to setup some jdbc driver property using Torque configuration file ?

For example, Oracle 9 driver

    Properties  prop = new Properties();
    prop.put ("internal_logon", "dba");

Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] [PROPOSAL] Adding a torque-gui repository inside of the torque project

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] [PROPOSAL] Adding a torque-gui repository inside of the torque project

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
it will be part of the torque repo .. so we need 3 +1 from the develoers
.. the pmc will not block us as long as we follow the rules

martin

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

--
Scott Eade