Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Vic Cekvenich <Vi...@baseBeans.com> on 2003/05/08 22:46:52 UTC

basicPortal to incubator

See: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PortalProposal

Some time ago I posted a proposal for a successful SourceForge project
for incubator.
The only discussion was that at the time it came with a setup (similar
to Tomcat).

I think this is an ideal project for taking source to apache.
Please advise

.V

Re: basicPortal to incubator

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <Vi...@baseBeans.com>.
I sent a formal proposal to submit a project to incubator, that meets
many of the requirements to join even Jakarta. What is the process to join?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 6/4/03 7:15 AM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@nifty.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:26:43 -0400
> (Subject: Re: basicPortal to incubator)
> "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> You'll have to learn to walk the gauntlet of flames and survive of course,
>> but I've no doubt you'll make it ;-)
>>
>> -Andy
>
> Wow, Terrific.. "gauntlet of flames" means "nuclear fallout"??
> Maybe I will need a nuclear shelter... to survive ;-)

Yup.  Its not a pretty process.  I've come to accept it though as part of
the process.  Remember, persistence is 90% of community building ;-) -- why
shouldn't it be part of getting anything done around here? ;-)

-Andy

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: basicPortal to incubator

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.
On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:26:43 -0400
(Subject: Re: basicPortal to incubator)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.
On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:03:36 -0400
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> > P.S. How about Yoga in Mt. Fuji next time, Andy? ;-)
> That would be so awesome...  Get me a gig there and I'll be there
> before you can say "POI is delicious" ;-)   -- Well with airport
> delays that might be an exaggeration.

Haha. Honestly, I am exaggerating that
"Poi -- paste of taro root -- is HORRIBLE bad-tasting, however,
it is well-nourished and most of the Hawaiians eat it as baby
food and therefore they will become BIG and HEAVY as grown-up
--- I think the naming of 'Poi' might sure to be fit to
the project from this point of view..."
in the top page of Poi translation, as a translator's comment.

I put this comment because I was wishing 'Poi' project
to become BIGGER and more famous ;-)
The origin of each projects' name would cast a long shadow over
the future of it, in general.
(In Tomcat's case, the origin was "Tom and Jerry"??
I remember that the Tom was once named 'Jasper'
in the early 40s' movie ... Now I am writing the issues
on Java Magazine in Japan about the origin of the names
of each projects... Just curious)

By the way,
Welcome to Japa-nese world (Java-nese? ;-), Andy.
I hope you to get more interested in this "Far East"
country and other Asian countries.
I am sure you will like these countries. And also in Japan,
it is serious problem of the shortage of Java experts,
especially who can deal with the i18n issues (Dozens of the
opensource projects neglected the i18n issue, as is often
the case with them... so, often we could not use in our
language or we faced with the garbled characters...).
I hope that the incubated and incubating projects take
this issue seriously.

P.S.
I'll bet my 2 cent,  Micro**** should change it's company name ;-)

E-mail: kitahata@bb.mbn.or.jp
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Re: basicPortal to incubator

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> P.S. How about Yoga in Mt. Fuji next time, Andy? ;-)

That would be so awesome...  Get me a gig there and I'll be there before you
can say "POI is delicious" ;-)   -- Well with airport delays that might be
an exaggeration.

-Andy

> Tetsuya Kitahata --  Terra-International, Inc.
> E-mail: kitahata@bb.mbn.or.jp
> http://www.terra-intl.com/
> (Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
> http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: basicPortal to incubator

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.
On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:40:30 +0200
Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> wrote:

> On 4/06/2003 14:58 Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > No one bother to flame, I'm done.
> Are mild chuckles allowed? (;->

Me too? ;-)

I have a fit of the giggles as if I were watching the comedy,
series of drama -- such as "Family Ties",  where
Andy (Brian Bonsall) and Alex (Michael J. Fox) were playing around ;-)

> The incubation process of Lenya went along the same unregulated road,
> but maybe the grease left by Tapestry helped in reducing the amount of
> flames apparently inherent to the process.

This's important it seems. I remember a lot of talks about Tapestry
in jakarta-general when I had been subscribed. Lenya's case I
did not know. (in xml-general or in lenya.org?)
Experience of the sponsors themselves would be piled up and
become a energy to make things go well smoothly for would-be
projects in the future,

> all that, but it is my sincere belief (given my small experience with
> Lenya now) that the time in-between start & finish is critical to the
> survival of the project after 'graduation'.

I agree with this. I was not getting involved in the promotion,
portion of Lenya and Tapestry, but (IMHO, just outsider's rubbish)
there might sure to be a slight, invisible and double-edged
difference between the chicks which were in the eggs in long term
and in short term. In the real business world, the incubation process
itself and the periods might be important.

> Just my 0.02 EUR, if any Lenyatic wants to chime in, please do.

Just my 2 Yen ;-)

--

Andy, Steven, thanks a lot. I am just learning...

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 4/06/2003 14:58 Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> No one bother to flame, I'm done.

Are mild chuckles allowed? (;->

The incubation process of Lenya went along the same unregulated road,
but maybe the grease left by Tapestry helped in reducing the amount of
flames apparently inherent to the process.

_Persistent_ involvement of the sponsoring member(s) during the
'process' is also a thing to emphasize, and not only for infrastructural
matters (which in the case of Lenya were handled swiftly by Sander &
Pier). Especially if the project is eager to leave incubation, but 'not
quite there yet'. The first and the last {$unit-of-time} of the process
certainly are the most visible ones, with the usual chest-thumping and
all that, but it is my sincere belief (given my small experience with
Lenya now) that the time in-between start & finish is critical to the
survival of the project after 'graduation'.

Just my 0.02 EUR, if any Lenyatic wants to chime in, please do.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: basicPortal to incubator

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> I hope that one day Andy or someone will write more about the "history"
> of the portion of Poi from SourceFourge. In that case, who was the
> sponsor? Stefano??
> If there're any notes (case studies) which describe the details of
> the portion of xx-Projects into Jakarta/Apache, they might be
> helpful for those who need sponsors and those who want to be
> sponsors, but do not know how to deal with these.
> (I mean, those who need to know what they should do as sponsors)
>
> Also, I think there will be needed any kind of "mentors" in the process
> of incubation.... this might be applied to "new committers" as well as
> "new projects". In Poi's case, who was the mentor? Nikola Ken??
>
> Do these above make sense?

I've written about it, several times.  You can find the last time that I
recall in my Jan 1 entry of my old blog
(http://freeroller.net/page/acoliver)

Fortunately, POI did not have to go through the incubator.  Its NO secret
that I think the incubator is a bad idea.

Tapestry was the first project to make it through the incubator... The
process was:

1. Tapestry petitioned Jakarta
2. Andy explained to them what they were doing wrong, attached to their
community, explained voting rules, licensing, community vs code, etc.
3. Tapestry folks adopted these and came back
4. Tapestry folks were told "you get to be our guinea pig"
5. Tapestry folks cried
6. Andy cried
7. Tapestry + Andy sucked it up and proposed to the incubator
8. The long long flamewar and trial of tears began
9. Andy + Tapestry persisted and finally the board told everyone to shut up
10. Tapestry began "incubation" which consisted of Andy + Sam and the
Tapestry folks doing things, and everyone else watching and talking about it
amongst themselves
11. Andy + Tapestry discovered some remaining licensing issues, Sander
assisted, Tapestry folks fixed them
12. Tapestry started working under GUMP
13. Andy proposed vote at Jakarta PMC, Incubator, Tapestry-dev
(tricameral...Yuck!)
14. All votes passed
15. Tapestry folks petitioned Andy to get off his rump and Andy said "When I
get into town...when I get into town"
16. Andy went to Mt. Evans,CO to meditate on the whole thing (pictures and
video available soon)
17. Andy moved the site and posted the news items, publicised, etc.
18. Tapestry folks adjusted their scripts, edited the things Andy messed up
(presumably) and
19. Someone asked Andy "don't you want to do that again" -- Andy said #16
what nice, but no thank you or only if I really really thought the project
was worth it like tapestry...that only happens once in awhile..."  (Nothing
based on JSP qualifies ;-) )
20. Now.

The entire process took from about September or October of LAST year to June
this year... The incubator is a lot like the DMV.

If you're bored this is all cross referenceable.  I've given up on it
though, I'm not bitter I just think its worthy of ridicule.

Feel free to distribute to other lists.

No one bother to flame, I'm done.

-Andy

> Tetsuya Kitahata --  Terra-International, Inc.
> E-mail: kitahata@bb.mbn.or.jp
> http://www.terra-intl.com/
> (Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
> http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: basicPortal to incubator

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:52:48 +0100

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: basicPortal to incubator

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
In the long term if you stick around, Tetsuya, you'll likely be a member.
At that time you can obviously sponsor it.  I'm afraid you've just been
voted in (premature I suppose to call it but a reasonable deduction) as a
committer at Jakarta and thus I don't think you're ready for this in any
sense of the meaning.  I have no doubt that given time you'll be in a
position to sponsor it.

On 6/3/03 9:13 AM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@nifty.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 07:44:00 -0400
> (Subject: Re: basicPortal to incubator)
> "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The move is actually away from such things.  His problem is that he hasn't
>> interested any sponsoring member.  What Jakarta projects he has is
>> irrelevant to that.  He needs:
>>
>> 1. a masochistic sponsoring member willing to go through it
>> 2. a community
>> 3. BSDish license.
>> 4. adopt apache voting rules
>
> Wow, I see. Thank you for the explanation, Andy.
>
> I'd been curious to know the status of the portion of "basicPortal"
> into Jakarta Project before his mail in incubator-general (27th,
> May).
> To tell the truth, I'd tried to contact him (vc@basebeans.com and
> vcekvenich@baseBeans.com and basebeans@users.sourceforge.net ..
> I sought Vic's e-mail address via google etc., and the three above
> were rejected from the server) and failed. Finally, come to know
> his "alive" e-mail address here in incubator-general and succeeded
> in talk with him personally (It was a long way...).
>
> I'd come to know the "basicPortal" because I searched the
> jakarta-general mailing list the other day and viewed apachewiki.
> (I had not been in jakarta-general for a few months..)
>
> Now I am not PMC or committer in Jakarta, but personally
> I am curious in this project. After I can download it successfully
> (I still fail in download.. It's too big!) and confirm the
> quality of the product, I am willing to be a part of your power, Vic.
>
> Sincerely,
> Tetsuya.
>

>> I've no idea about 2-4 but he lacks #1 which is probably the most important
>> pre-requisite.  Although Vic's persistence certainly makes him worthy, the
>> project doesn't excite me.  Perhaps Vic could contribute to other projects
>> and then try getting it into Jakarta Commons (which it sounds candidate for)
>> and go from there...  (the long route)
>>
>> -Andy
>>
>> On 6/3/03 7:06 AM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@nifty.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have one question. If Vic Cekvenich will hunt some projects
>>> similar (from the point of view of using Tomcat and Struts, JSTL)
>>> to his project, can he form a new top project?
>>> (e.g. "Jerry Project" -- basicPortal under Jerry Project)
>>>
>>> Maybe his project doesn't qualify as a top level project,
>>> but I think this above would give more choices to him.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Tetsuya.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> On Wed, 28 May 2003 02:58:02 +0200

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: basicPortal to incubator

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
The move is actually away from such things.  His problem is that he hasn't
interested any sponsoring member.  What Jakarta projects he has is
irrelevant to that.  He needs:

1. a masochistic sponsoring member willing to go through it
2. a community
3. BSDish license.
4. adopt apache voting rules

I've no idea about 2-4 but he lacks #1 which is probably the most important
pre-requisite.  Although Vic's persistence certainly makes him worthy, the
project doesn't excite me.  Perhaps Vic could contribute to other projects
and then try getting it into Jakarta Commons (which it sounds candidate for)
and go from there...  (the long route)

-Andy

On 6/3/03 7:06 AM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@nifty.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one question. If Vic Cekvenich will hunt some projects
> similar (from the point of view of using Tomcat and Struts, JSTL)
> to his project, can he form a new top project?
> (e.g. "Jerry Project" -- basicPortal under Jerry Project)
>
> Maybe his project doesn't qualify as a top level project,
> but I think this above would give more choices to him.
>
> Best Regards,
> Tetsuya.
>
> --
>
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 02:58:02 +0200