Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jeffrey Rodriguez <je...@hotmail.com> on 2000/07/11 02:24:45 UTC

Re: ?? Design discussion - xerces-design-dev new list

Mr. Duncan Davidson,
wrote

>I'm sure.. They just aren't thinking about it out here on the mailing list
>where the community is most of the time.
>
> > I am just shocked by all these messages related with design issues just
> > suddenly popped up on xerces-j-dev mailing list.
>
>Where else should they be? :)
>
>.duncan

Maybe we should start a new mailing list, xerces-j-design-dev just
dedicated to design discussions, so we can let other members of this
group to post and received proper attention to their questions without
being overwhelmed by the amount of discussions this topic is creating.

A +1 for creating a new mail discussion list.

Thanks,
              Jeffrey  Rodriguez
              IBM Silicon Valley

Re: ?? Design discussion - xerces-design-dev new list

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ca...@pcisys.net>.
>Probably a xerces-j-users /xerces-j-devel would be a better organization.
>Right now the devel mailing list seems to be more user support then
>devel.
>
>But of course, a separation of devel and user mails would help a lot - we
>had the same problem in tomcat and tomcat-user was great.

+1 on creating a xerces-j-users mailing list.

Also, a few ideas on the new parser implementation. I like the
modularity Duncan proposed. You might consider making the pluggable
validation more of a configurable pipeline so multiple validators can
be inserted, or even other operations could be inserted as modules in
the pipeline. One example I can think which could be implemented as a
module in the pipeline is entity expansion.

Another idea (this one's out there... I know) is to have some kind of
listener support available in the DOM implementation. For example, if
I have a UI presentation of a DOM tree, say in a JTree, and something
else manipulates the DOM in memory, an event would be fired off to
listeners registered with the Document or individual elements
notifying them of the change. This idea may apply better to something
like JDOM rather than Xerces, but I just thought I'd throw it out as
it might spark ideas in the modularity design.

-Kelly
--
Kelly A. Campbell                       Software Engineer
<ca...@merlotxml.org>                    ChannelPoint, Inc.

Re: ?? Design discussion - xerces-design-dev new list

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.

> Maybe we should start a new mailing list, xerces-j-design-dev just
> dedicated to design discussions, so we can let other members of this
> group to post and received proper attention to their questions without
> being overwhelmed by the amount of discussions this topic is creating.
>
> A +1 for creating a new mail discussion list.

Probably a xerces-j-users /xerces-j-devel would be a better organization.
Right now the devel mailing list seems to be more user support then
devel.

But of course, a separation of devel and user mails would help a lot - we
had the same problem in tomcat and tomcat-user was great.

Costin