Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Lon Boonen <lo...@wanadoo.nl> on 2003/09/19 22:25:21 UTC

Signing Off

> > Apache was the one abusing our code by not complying to the license and
> > now you are critisizing us for building on top of our own code?
>
> We failed to comply to the advertising clause and we fixed this and
> apologized for it. If this is "abusing you", then we have a different
> perception of reality.

I didn't say abusing *ME*, but abusing the *CODE*.
And I said Apache *WAS* (past tense) abusing the code by not living up to
the license. The fixes have fixed that, for which I would like to say thank
you on behalf of the code.
Are we now having a somewhat more comparable perception of reality again?

> You said explicitly that the version of Xopus shipped with Lenya is not
> the most up to date and that this latest and greatest version is
> available for a fee and its source is not released with an open source
> license.
>
> This, in my book, is called "close up again". No criticism intended.

There is a difference between the OS Xopus and its code and the code of some
commercial product we are developing. The code having been open sourced is
still open sourced and still has the same license.
So what has been closed?
We, some company, have stepped away from releasing new open source code and
we have communicated this very open and honest towards the Xopus community
(as far as there was one).
We did not take code away from the OS space. We just proceeded developing
our own code on top of our own code, leaving the open source code out there
to be picked up by others.
The version in Lenya is the most up to date OS version I'm aware of. All
other code has never been released as OS and as such has nothing to do with
OS.

A very uninteresting discussion, I think everyone will agree.

> Wow, I must have touched a nerve here.

You did.

I'm now going to sign off. I'm fighting a battle I can't win because I don't
know the rules of the game. Furthermore I'm afraid nobody knows what this
battle was about or who started it and for what reasons.

I just wanted the OS Xopus license to be respected because in my opinion OS
is about respect.
If it were my company having neglected someones intellectual work the way
the ASF has neglected the Xopus and BXE license I would have been deeply,
deeply ashamed. I don't feel that at all from the ASF. And that's a shame.

I've taken some remarks too personal and replied far too furious but I stand
by what I've said (as opposed to how in some cases).

Please take Xopus out of Lenya so we never have to discuss anything like
this again.

bye, Lon

Re: Signing Off

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Lon Boonen wrote:

<snip />

>I'm now going to sign off. I'm fighting a battle I can't win because I don't
>know the rules of the game.

there is nothing to win ;-)

> Furthermore I'm afraid nobody knows what this
>battle was about or who started it and for what reasons.

well, I still know.

It seems that most devs agree to remove Xopus, so the trouble with
licensing re Xopus should be resolved.

I am sorry that emails got a bit out of control, but what else is there
to be done beside sex, soccer and child care

All the best

Michael