Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@opengroup.org> on 1998/05/29 19:26:48 UTC

Re: Perl GET & HEAD app performance?

Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> wrote:

> A while ago I upgraded whatever CPAN Perl package it is that includes
> the GET and HEAD applications.  Ever since, the response time when
> using them has been atrocious, on the order of several seconds
> minimum, even to something like "HEAD http://127.0.0.1/" (which
> took 24 seconds!).
>
> Has anyone else seen this, or have any idea what I need to tweak to
> get rid of whatever's causing the delay?  I really don't have the
> time right now to dig into exactly what's going on; I'm hoping it's
> a FAQ.

The LWP::Debug might reveal some clues, run like so:

 perl -MLWP::Debug=+ `which HEAD` http://127.0.0.1/

You'll see all sort of trace messages, where is it before the hang?
Do you have the HTTP_PROXY enviroment variable set?  It might be
trying to proxy to a server which is dead or just dead slow.  GET and
HEAD work just fine for me with libwww-perl-5.33

-Doug

Re: Perl GET & HEAD app performance?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> The LWP::Debug might reveal some clues, run like so:
>
>  perl -MLWP::Debug=+ `which HEAD` http://127.0.0.1/
>
> You'll see all sort of trace messages, where is it before the hang?
> Do you have the HTTP_PROXY enviroment variable set?  It might be
> trying to proxy to a server which is dead or just dead slow.  GET and
> HEAD work just fine for me with libwww-perl-5.33

What I'm seeing is:
 1. a massive delay before *any* output (many seconds' worth)
 2. a short delay after "LWP::UserAgent::new: ()"
 3. a longer delay after"LWP::UserAgent::_need_proxy: Not proxied"

So the culprit may have been my upgrade to Perl 5.004_04, made
a couple of months ago.  {Sigh}  Now what could have caused
*that*?  It's a slow 486 33MHz box running Linux, but not *that*
slow.  Sounds like something (don't know what) isn't preloaded
or precompiled or something.  I took all the defaults, which is
what I did the time before (when I didn't have this delay).

On the other hand, Perl apps that don't use these modules
seem to run at normal speed.

#ken	P-)}