Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Oliver <ac...@yahoo.com> on 2000/12/13 15:42:08 UTC

Servlet Mappings and what am I doing wrong.

I have some legacy code that uses its own non-jsp tag
system.

The following is my web.xml file put in

webapps/myapp/WEB-INF dir

The attempt is to map files with the extension *.msp
to the RouterServlet.  Unfortunately this is not
happening, if I goto the directory and do an msp file
it lists it as text.  I then tried to do the same with
the entire directory (hence the second mapping).

What else do I need?  What am I doing wrong?  (This
used to use JServ ApJServAction but I'm attempting to
move to Tomcat3.2 and the new connector) and migrate
toward a standard system.

Please note I've genericised all filenames/ips in
this.  If there is a site called myorg.com, I'm not
affilliated with it.  I was trying to be generic.

Thanks,

-Andy

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application 2.2//EN"
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">

<web-app>
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>
            RouterServlet
        </servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            com.myorg.servlet.RouterServlet
        </servlet-class>
        <init-param>

<param-name>handlers_classpath</param-name>

<param-value>com.myorg.servlet</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
                <param-name>handlers</param-name>
                <param-value>
Article,Index,Default,Previous,Image,SendFriend,Poll</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
                <param-name>pools</param-name>
                <param-value>pools</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
                <param-name>pool_url</param-name>

<param-value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.168.1.2:1521:MYDB</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
                <param-name>pool_max_conn</param-name>
                <param-value>20</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>

<param-name>pool_max_checkout</param-name>
                <param-value>10</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
                <param-name>realfiledir</param-name>

<param-value>/usr/local/apache/virtual/myorg.com/htdocs</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
                <param-name>thread</param-name>
                <param-value>true</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>

<param-name>thread_interval</param-name>
                <param-value>300</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
                <param-name>debug</param-name>
                <param-value>false</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </servlet>
        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>
                        RouterServlet
                </servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>
                        /myorg.com/*
                </url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>
                        RouterServlet
                </servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>
                        /myorg.com/*.msp
                </url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>

    <taglib>
        <taglib-uri>

http://java.apache.org/tomcat/examples-taglib
        </taglib-uri>
        <taglib-location>
           /WEB-INF/jsp/example-taglib.tld
        </taglib-location>
    <taglib>

    <security-constraint>
      <web-resource-collection>
         <web-resource-name>Protected
Area</web-resource-name>
         <!-- Define the context-relative URL(s) to be
protected -->

<url-pattern>/jsp/security/protected/*</url-pattern>
         <!-- If you list http methods, only those
methods are protected -->
         <http-method>DELETE</http-method>
         <http-method>GET</http-method>
         <http-method>POST</http-method>
         <http-method>PUT</http-method>
      </web-resource-collection>
      <auth-constraint>
         <!-- Anyone with one of the listed roles may
access this area -->
         <role-name>tomcat</role-name>
         <role-name>role1</role-name>
      </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

    <!-- Default login configuration uses BASIC
authentication -->
    <login-config>
      <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
      <realm-name>Example Basic Authentication
Area</realm-name>
    </login-config>

    <!-- If you want to experiment with form-based
logins, comment
         out the <login-config> element above and
replace it with
         this one.  Note that we are currently using a
nonstandard
         authentication method, because the code to
support form
         based login is incomplete and only lightly
tested.  -->
    <!--
    <login-config>
      <auth-method>EXPERIMENTAL_FORM</auth-method>
      <realm-name>Example Form-Based Authentication
Area</realm-name>
      <form-login-config>

<form-login-page>/jsp/security/login/login.jsp</form-login-page>

<form-error-page>/jsp/security/login/error.jsp</form-error-page>
      </form-login-config>
    </login-config>
    -->

</web-app>

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Re: Servlet Mappings and what am I doing wrong.

Posted by Pier Paolo Bortone <pi...@netengineering.it>.
How are you using tomcat? Standalone or with Apache + mod_jk?

There is a little difference.

Posted by Matt Goss <mg...@rtci.com>.
Andrew,
What you are doing won't work correctly on Tomcat. Apparently the * isn't
a valid wildcard according to the servlet specification. instead, map
your servlet to a specific filename like dosomething.do and then add
information to the end of the URL to tell the servlet what page to
forward to for display. That works great for me. (By the way, the *.do
mappings do work in JRUN3.0)
Matt

Posted by Pier Paolo Bortone <pi...@netengineering.it>.
Ok.

Andy, I send you my web.xml that could be help you, where all dwf file are
handled by NetSite servlet.

Bye.