Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by GoGoZoom PDX <go...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/31 14:42:19 UTC

XenServer & Open vSwitch

I'm confused by the documentation that I've found:

This page states that "If the XenServer host is part of a zone that uses
basic networking, disable Open vSwitch (OVS)":
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.9/hypervisor/xenserver.html#physical-networking-setup-for-xenserver

This page states that "The following hypervisors are supported by the OVS
Plugin: XenServer >= 4.0":
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/networking/ovs-plugin.html

Will the OVS Plugin allow CS to manage XenServer when using the Open
vSwitch network backend (in a Basic Networking scenario and/or an Advanced
Networking scenario)?

TIA,
Eric Pretorious
Portland, Oregon

Re: XenServer & Open vSwitch

Posted by GoGoZoom PDX <go...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Dag - That was excellent!

Eric Pretorious
Portland, Oregon

On Jan 31, 2017 7:07 AM, "Dag Sonstebo" <Da...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

Hi Eric,

My understanding as follows:

- XenServer with basic networking only works when using the “old” linux
switching backend, not OVS, due to the requirements to manage security
groups.
- OVS plugin comes into play in advanced zones where you want to use SDN/L3
overlay networks to provide guest isolation (which you don’t do in basic
zones).
- Keep in mind this only applies when you want to use SDN, if you want to
use standard VLAN based advanced zones then XenServer will just use OVS as
it’s standard switching backend (since XS6.2).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect