Posted to user@spark.apache.org by muthu <ba...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/15 06:04:12 UTC

Fast write datastore...

Hello there,

I have one or more parquet files to read and perform some aggregate queries
using Spark Dataframe. I would like to find a reasonable fast datastore that
allows me to write the results for subsequent (simpler queries).
I did attempt to use ElasticSearch to write the query results using
ElasticSearch Hadoop connector. But I am running into connector write issues
if the number of Spark executors are too many for ElasticSearch to handle.
But in the schema sense, this seems a great fit as ElasticSearch has smartz
in place to discover the schema. Also in the query sense, I can perform
simple filters and sort using ElasticSearch and for more complex aggregate,
Spark Dataframe can come back to the rescue :).
Please advice on other possible data-stores I could use?

Thanks,
Muthu

Re: Fast write datastore...

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
we are using elasticsearch for this.

the issue of elasticsearch falling over if the number of partitions/cores
in spark writing to it is too high does suck indeed. and the answer every
time i asked about it on elasticsearch mailing list has been to reduce
spark tasks or increase elasticsearch nodes, which is not very useful.

we ended up putting the spark jobs that write to elasticsearch on a yarn
queue that limits cores. not ideal but it does the job.

RE: RE: Fast write datastore...

Posted by Mal Edwin <ma...@vinadionline.com>.
Hi All,
I believe here what we are looking for is a serving layer where user queries can be executed on a subset of processed data.
In this scenario, we are using Impala for this as it provides a layered caching, in our use case it caches some set in memory and then some in HDFS and the full set is on S3.

Our processing layer is SparkStreaming + HBase  —> extracts to Parquet on S3 —> Impala is serving layer serving user requests. Impala also has a SQL interface. Drawback is Impala is not managed via Yarn and has its own resource manager and you would have to figure out a way to man Yarn and impala co-exist.

Thanks,
Edwin

Re: RE: Fast write datastore...

Posted by Sudhir Menon <sm...@snappydata.io>.
I am extremely leery about pushing product on this forum and have refrained
from it in the past. But since you are talking about loading parquet data
into Spark, run some aggregate queries and then write the results to a fast
data store, and specifically asking for product options,  it makes absolute
sense to consider SnappyData. SnappyData turns Spark into a fast read write
store and you can do what you are trying to do with a single cluster which
hosts Spark and the database. It is an in memory store that supports high
concurrency, fast lookups and the ability to run queries via
ODBC/JDBC/Thrift. The tables stored in the database are accessible as
dataframes and you can use the Spark API to access the data.

Check it out here <http://www.snappydata.io/download>. Happy to answer any
questions (there are tons of resources on the site and you can post
questions on the slack <https://snappydata-public.slack.com> channel)

--
Suds
snappydata.io

RE: RE: Fast write datastore...

Posted by yohann jardin <yo...@hotmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

________________________________

On jasbir.sing@accenture.com<ma...@accenture.com>, Mar 16, 2017 7:52 AM wrote:
Hi,

Will MongoDB not fit this solution?

I did not catch from your message, what performance do you expect from subsequent queries?

Regards,
Uladzimir

On Mar 15, 2017 9:03 PM, "Muthu Jayakumar" <ba...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello Uladzimir / Shiva,

From ElasticSearch documentation (i have to see the logical plan of a query to confirm), the richness of filters (like regex,..) is pretty good while comparing to Cassandra. As for aggregates, i think Spark Dataframes is quite rich enough to tackle.

View this message in context: http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/Fast-write-datastore-tp28497.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__apache-2Dspark-2Duser-2Dlist.1001560.n3.nabble.com_Fast-2Dwrite-2Ddatastore-2Dtp28497.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=eIGjsITfXP_y-DLLX0uEHXJvU8nOHrUK8IrwNKOtkVU&r=7scIIjM0jY9x3fjvY6a_yERLxMA2NwA8l0DnuyrL6yA&m=9OzGCUHXXQLjuS_SpMHII54QWHNzFKrwMma4qV3ADxE&s=6305WvqHeyTC5S2ZSBXamJrcO03n3MQyoU4tkMQlM_k&e=>

________________________________

www.accenture.com<http://www.accenture.com>

Re: RE: Fast write datastore...

Posted by Rick Moritz <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re:RE: Fast write datastore...

Posted by Shiva Ramagopal <tr...@gmail.com>.
I do think Kafka is an overkill in this case. There are no streaming use-
cases that needs a queue to do pub-sub.

On 16-Mar-2017 11:47 AM, "vvshvv" <vv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> A slightly over-kill solution may be Spark to Kafka to ElasticSearch?
>
> I do not think so, in this case you will be able to process Parquet files
> as usual, but Kafka will allow your Elasticsearch cluster to be stable and
> survive regarding the number of rows.
>
> Regards,
> Uladzimir
>

> On jasbir.sing@accenture.com, Mar 16, 2017 7:52 AM wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> Will MongoDB not fit this solution?

RE: Fast write datastore...

Posted by ja...@accenture.com.

Re: Fast write datastore...

Posted by Vova Shelgunov <vv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Muthu,.

Re: Fast write datastore...

Posted by Muthu Jayakumar <ba...@gmail.com>.
>Reading your original question again, it seems to me probably you don't
need a fast data store
Shiva, You are right. I only asked about fast-write and never mentioned on
read :). For us, Cassandra may not be a choice of read because of its
a. limitations on pagination support on the server side
b. richness of filters provided when compared to elastic search... but this
can worked around by using spark dataframe.
c. a possible larger limitation for me, which is mandate on creating a
partition key column before hand. I may not be able to determine this
before hand.
But 'materialized view', 'SSTable Attached Secondary Index (SASI)' can help
alleviate to some extent.

>what performance do you expect from subsequent queries?
Uladzimir, here is what we do now...
Step 1: Run aggregate query using large number of parquets (generally
ranging from few MBs to few GBs) using Spark Dataframe.
Step 2: Attempt to store these query results in a 'fast datastore' (I have
asked for recommendations in this post). The data is usually sized from
250K to 600 million rows... Also the schema from Step 1 is not known before
hand and is usually deduced from the Dataframe schema or so. In most cases
it's a simple non-structural field.
Step 3: Run one or more queries from results stored in Step 2... These are
something as simple as pagination, filters (think of it as simple string
contains, regex, number in range, ...) and sort. For any operation more
complex than this, I have been planning to run it thru a dataframe.

Koert makes valid points on the issues with Elastic Search.

On a side note, we do use Cassandra for Spark Streaming use-cases where we
sink the data into Cassandra (for efficient upsert capabilities) and
eventually write into parquet for long term storage and trend analysis with
full table scans scenarios.

But I am thankful for many ideas and perspectives on how this could be
looked at.

Thanks,
Muthu

Re: Fast write datastore...