Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/24 00:59:12 UTC

Class name org.apache.logging.log4j.LoggingException

Hi All:

I would expected a LoggingException to be in the org.apache.logging package
and be used by all org.apache.logging logging solutions, of which there is
only one now: Log4j,

In org.apache.logging.log4j, I would expect us to have a Log4jException.

I propose:

(1) renaming org.apache.logging.log4j.LoggingException to
org.apache.logging.log4j.Log4jException

or moving org.apache.logging.log4j.LoggingException to org.apache.logging.

Since we are not talking about multiple Java logging frameworks, I prefer 1.

Thoughts?

Gary
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Class name org.apache.logging.log4j.LoggingException

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I don't really like "Log4jException". Log4j is a noun while Logging is a verb - it is not meant to imply an exception that applies to all of org.apache.logging but an exception performing logging within Log4j. As such, its current name and package seem quite appropriate to me.

Ralph

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
IO (input/output) is a verb (or at least some kind of action).

That said, regardless of whether the noun vs verb argument makes any sense I still don't think renaming is necessary.

Raph

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.