Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/08/29 16:22:13 UTC

Should Gump/AntGump/Maven become a separate project?

First my thoughts - should Alexandria look like it was going to go into a
long term hibernation again, I would say yes.  Otherwise - as long as it
looks like there is a hope that Alexandria would subsume the functionally
included by Gump, I would prefer it stay here.

Josh's joining the project rekindles the hope that Alexandria will live on.

Follow-on question: Victor has expressed an interest in maintaining his own
project defintions.  I'm inclined to put this to a vote, and indicate my
support.  This is related to the question above as the level of granularity
for karma is at the cvs module level.  Thoughts?

- Sam Ruby

Re: Should Gump/AntGump/Maven become a separate project?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 8/29/01 12:15 PM, "josh lucas" <lu...@collab.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2001-08-29 at 07:22, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> First my thoughts - should Alexandria look like it was going to go into a
>> long term hibernation again, I would say yes.  Otherwise - as long as it
>> looks like there is a hope that Alexandria would subsume the functionally
>> included by Gump, I would prefer it stay here.
>
> Agreed..  Let's keep it here.
>

>> Josh's joining the project rekindles the hope that Alexandria will live on.
>>
>> Follow-on question: Victor has expressed an interest in maintaining his own
>> project defintions.  I'm inclined to put this to a vote, and indicate my
>> support.  This is related to the question above as the level of granularity
>> for karma is at the cvs module level.  Thoughts?
>>

> I think that project folk should be able to adjust their descriptors so
> it will just be a matter of figuring out the best way to handle it.

One way is the stuff I have been playing with in JJAR - where there is a
central 'directory' that can point to descriptors located in each project's
CVS.

That way the project manages their own descriptor.

Granted, I have just been toying with it.  I should have JDOM working that
way for JJAR Real Soon Now, which will be a more substantial test...

Geir

Re: Should Gump/AntGump/Maven become a separate project?

Posted by josh lucas <lu...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2001-08-29 at 07:22, Sam Ruby wrote:
> First my thoughts - should Alexandria look like it was going to go into a
> long term hibernation again, I would say yes.  Otherwise - as long as it
> looks like there is a hope that Alexandria would subsume the functionally
> included by Gump, I would prefer it stay here.

Agreed..  Let's keep it here.

> Josh's joining the project rekindles the hope that Alexandria will live on.
>
> Follow-on question: Victor has expressed an interest in maintaining his own
> project defintions.  I'm inclined to put this to a vote, and indicate my
> support.  This is related to the question above as the level of granularity
> for karma is at the cvs module level.  Thoughts?

I think that project folk should be able to adjust their descriptors so
it will just be a matter of figuring out the best way to handle it.

josh

Re: Should Gump/AntGump/Maven become a separate project?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 8/29/01 11:09 AM, "John Morrison" <jo...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Is GUMP and AntGump growing towards being integrated?
>
>> - Sam Ruby
>
> PS - what is Maven?

Maven is akin to Gump but it creates an object model of a workspace by
mapping all the XML descriptors into Workspace object. In Maven I plug this
workspace object into a Velocity context and generate Ant build files to
checkout projects and perform the builds. The build part isn't working yet
but will soon.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

RE: Should Gump/AntGump/Maven become a separate project?

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
Hi All,

Agreed.

> Otherwise - as long as it
> looks like there is a hope that Alexandria would subsume the functionally
> included by Gump, I would prefer it stay here.

I too would prefer that the functionality stay together, as long as
Alexandria lives.  I admit to not looking at Alexandria - my main focus was
to get GUMP working within my own environment.  From what little I know of
Alexandria it's a 'library' of JavaDocs(?).  Would it be reasonable to
enhance GUMP to generate these too?

> Josh's joining the project rekindles the hope that Alexandria
> will live on.

Definitely - Good luck Josh!

> Follow-on question: Victor has expressed an interest in
> maintaining his own
> project definitions.  I'm inclined to put this to a vote, and indicate my
> support.

I'll admit to being unsure about this.  Part of me says to competition is
good and part says that cooperation (if possible) is better.  Huh, I think
I'm +0 as long as there is one set and only one.  If Victor wants to
create/maintain his own I think that GUMP should be capable of using them
and I think Victor ought to remember that GUMP _wants_ to use them and help
make it easy(ish) for us to do so :)

> This is related to the question above as the level of
> granularity
> for karma is at the cvs module level.

What is Sam?  Who maintains things?

> Thoughts?

Is GUMP and AntGump growing towards being integrated?

> - Sam Ruby

PS - what is Maven?

RE: Should Gump/AntGump/Maven become a separate project?

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
+1 on the seperate repository.  I think that commit access requires active
participation + commit status for one or more _other_ Apache projects.

Posted by Scott Sanders <sa...@totalsync.com>.

Posted by josh lucas <lu...@collab.net>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 8/29/01 10:22 AM, "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> First my thoughts - should Alexandria look like it was going to go into a
> long term hibernation again, I would say yes.  Otherwise - as long as it
> looks like there is a hope that Alexandria would subsume the functionally
> included by Gump, I would prefer it stay here.

I would like it to stay too, I think the inter-project build and continuous
integration ideas are ones that belong in alexandria.

> Josh's joining the project rekindles the hope that Alexandria will live on.
>
> Follow-on question: Victor has expressed an interest in maintaining his own
> project defintions.

Sorry, I don't know which Victor you're talking about :-)

> I'm inclined to put this to a vote, and indicate my
> support.  This is related to the question above as the level of granularity
> for karma is at the cvs module level.  Thoughts?

I think any project that wants to maintain their descriptor should be free
to do so. How about putting the descriptors themselves in a separate
repository and allow access to anyone on a project that requests it?

So we could put the descriptors, dtd, xdocs for the descriptors and possibly
the object model in a separate repository and gump/maven/antgump so that any
tool can utilize what's where.