Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Co...@infomediarycorp.com on 2001/10/18 20:19:27 UTC

RE: How to change Tomcat default port from 8080 to standard port 80?

You must change the port number in server.xml.

However you will need to run Tomcat as root to bind to this port. I don't
think you want to run Tomcat as root in a a production environment. As far
as I know there is no way to start Tomcat as root initially so that you can
bind to that port and then switch the user so that the porcess runs under
that user.

A solution is to use Apache as the server on port 80 forwarding requests
onto Tomcat. Apache lets you switch users after binding to port 80.

Conor.

How to change Tomcat default port from 8080 to standard port 80?

Thanks!

Franco