Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Carole Godfrey <cg...@analogic.com> on 1999/07/26 23:00:34 UTC

os-windows/4773: Apache file downloads are slow if client and server are on same host machine

>Number:         4773
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Apache file downloads are slow if client and server are on same host machine
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Below is the excerpt of text that I placed into the newsgroups on this:

We have recently ported a Unix Based application to NT. It uses Apache
1.3.6 on Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (Service Pack4) as it's web server.
We are experiencing an odd problem and could really use some assistance
in troubleshooting. It specifically has to do with downloading large
files (> 4MB)- via the Apache web server. We have set up an alias
directory on the web server where the files exist. Directly accessing
the directory using IE 4.0 (via a http://servername/directory) and
trying to save the file locally (ie right mouse click and save file
as...)  results in very poor performance. The poor performance is ONLY
seen if the Web Client (IE 4.0) and Web Server (Apache 1.3.6) are
operational on the same system. The system has 256MB of RAM. Has any one
seen similar problems or have suggestions for tuning or parameters that
may help? or how to troubleshoot? We tried monitoring with performance
monitor tool without much success.

I tried installing a hotfix from Microsoft (which specifically dealt with a loopback performance issue of nagling - Knowledge Base Article Q231790). This did not resolve the problem.

We are currently working around this issue by serving the files ONLY using MS Personal Web Server. We would like to have a single solution where we can use Apache only.
>How-To-Repeat:
As mentioned in my note in the newsgroup - set up an alias
directory on the web server where the files exist. Directly access
the directory using IE 4.0 (via a http://servername/directory) and
trying to save the file locally (ie right mouse click and save file
as...). The performance is much slower if the web client and server are both resident on the same machine.
>Fix:
Currently, I am working around this by having PWS serve the files, but we would like to use a single web server
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]