Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2006/10/06 13:48:08 UTC

Remarks on quoting style in emails (was: Re: JMX Viewer)

On 10/6/06, Christopher M. Cardona <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> See inline comments...
>
> anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> > Comments inline..

I've been following this type of quoting for a while and think it's
time to change (improve?) it a little. I've seen that Anita has been
doing it too, but let me take your email as an example. I'd like to
hear everybody's opinion on them before changing anything, though,
since *I* might be completely wrong.

Here are my comments:

1/ "Comments inline" are unnecessary. We all know that we send emails
to be involved in a converstation. We'll look them up.

> > <snip>...............

2/ Some emails need formatting before responding. Remove unnecessary
empty lines as they don't bring any value and complicate reading.

> >> One thing we can do is
> >> add a list of ServiceModules and clicking each node will list its
> >> MBeans
> >> which is almost close to what you want.
> >>

> >    This would be nice to have.
> >

> OK. I already created a JIRA for this -
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2448.
> >>>

> >> Yes. Currently there are two ways to do this the fastest. One option
> >> is
> >> to navigate the tree - Geronimo MBeans > GBean. Another option is to
> >> do
> >> an MBean search using a pattern like: "geronimo:j2eeType=GBean,*".
> >> Both
> >> will give a list of all the GBeans which include the Tomcat MBeans.
> >>

> >    This only gives only the MBeans that have been exposed via GBeans. A
> > typical tomcat MBean has a name attribute like:
> > Name: Geronimo:type=Connector, port=8443, address=%2F0.0.0.0

3/ Do not quote too much - only relevant part of a message. The rest
is in the original message and everybody can read it in the archives
(unless it's not in one's mailbox already)

If you think they're valid points please use them. Else comment on
them so I'll change my habits and expectations.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl