Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com> on 2009/04/07 01:19:23 UTC

RE: http://cwiki.apache.org/SHINDIGxSITE/how-to-support-features-that-depend-on-gadgetsrpc.html

FYI - gadgets.window.setTitle() works without the gadget containing the
setRelayUrl() call. Is this expected? I was surprised by this. I haven't
tried other calls.

Jordan Zimmerman
Principal Software Architect
831.647.4712
831.214.2990 (cell)
jordanz@shop.com

SHOP*COMTM
Shop Smart, Save Big(tm)
www.shop.com

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain information that is non-public, proprietary,
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product.
that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and
(i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this
message
immediately if this is an electronic communication.

Thank you.

Re: http://cwiki.apache.org/SHINDIGxSITE/how-to-support-features-that-depend-on-gadgetsrpc.html

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com> wrote:

> The spec is very thin on what the signature of the handler is:
> http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.7/reference/gadgets.rpc.ht
> ml#register<http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.7/reference/gadgets.rpc.ht%0Aml#register>
>
> I look into the code and it appears that "this.f" refers to the iframe
> window's name. Why the name? Wouldn't the iframe's ID be better? Also,
> why not include the module ID or the application ID?

The iframe ID is not accessible by the iframe itself.

We don't bother with other ids because the container can easily map these on
their own, and the size of the container -> gadget payload must be kept as
small as possible (hence the cryptic property names).

RE: Shindig working with Liferay now

Posted by astha <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Sorry for replying back late. Just got hooked up with few other things.

We have created the issue at Liferay JIRA and its corresponding
patch:http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-3097

We have also attached a deployable war file along with this patch :
shindig-portlet.5.2.0.1.war

You can deploy this war as a plugin through Plugin Installation (Control
Panel -> Server -> Plugin Installation -> Install More Portlets -> Upload
File) in liferay.

Once the war is deployed,you will be able to add this portlet through
clicking the 'Add Application' link in the menu. You will find the 'Shindig
Gadget Portlet' in category 'Sample'.

Yep, it is compatible with liferay 5.2.

We are waiting for the feedback and comments on the patch we submitted to
Liferay. Simultaneously we are working to make it compatible with the latest
version of Shindig and opensocial 0.8.Accordingly we will contribute the
updated version.

Astha

RE: Shindig, OpenSocial, and Portlets

Posted by "Fisher, Tim" <Ti...@compuware.com>.
Ian,

Thank you for the response and the very thoughtful comments.  Yes, I do
agree that all things being equal, it would make the most sense to not
use 168 and use a JavaScript layout manager.  However, we have an
existing 168 compliant portal product that we are trying to add open
social gadget support to.  Given that, I have been trying to determine
the best way of doing this.

What I've done so far I believe is equivalent to your "trivial"
solution.  I have an iFrame portlet that is loading a trimmed down
version of the sample container that is packaged with shindig.  This
results in a gadget being rendered in the iframe.  As you say, this is a
pretty trivial solution, but I'm not sure if it's the best solution.
I'm looking for other options that ideally do not result in a huge
amount of work.

Tim

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by vi...@wipro.com.

Posted by Hafiz A Haq <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a
fool forever.

RE: Shindig, OpenSocial, and Portlets

Posted by "Fisher, Tim" <Ti...@compuware.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
This would be true on any browser that doesn't need to use IFPC, for all
calls. setRelayUrl is only used for IFPC -- at this point that means Safari
< 4.0 and Chrome < 2.0. All other browsers with at least 1% market share
have faster communications channels. It could also become true again in the
future if microsoft fixes the bug that we exploit to get a fast
communications channel in IE6/7.