Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Peter Normann <pe...@normann.com> on 2003/07/03 15:19:53 UTC

[users@httpd] REPOST: IE doesn't refresh main page of site

This is a repost, since I didn't get a response the first time. It may
be a little off topic, but I hope one of you guys can help me out here.

I have a problem with Internet Explorer clients having their cache
control set to automatically. They are visiting my site running apache
1.3.23 and php 4.12 under linux.

Basically what I have is a site that consists of fully dynamically
generated pages. The only URL used is
http://www.mycompany.com/index.html and from then on navigation and page
generation is handled by php behind the scenes.

The site has been developed in php and I have set the
session_cache_limiter to 'public'.

I have the following tags in the top of the page:

	<head>
charset=iso-8859-1" />
		<title>MyCompany</title>
			<link href="print.css" rel="stylesheet"
type="text/css" media="print, all" />
	</head>

I have the following configuration directives for the specific site:

<VirtualHost my.ip.address>
ServerName www.mycompany.com
ServerAlias www
ErrorDocument 404 /php/redirect.php
ErrorLog /home/www/mycompany/logs/access_log
CustomLog /home/www/mycompany/logs/access_log common
DocumentRoot /home/www/mycompany/http
</VirtualHost>

DirectoryIndex is index.html globally.

Now, my problem is this:

If any user accesses the site with http://www.mycompany.com they get a
really old cached version of the first page, but when they use
http://www.mycompany.com/index.html they get the correct one.

No matter how many meta-tags I put into the <head> IE doesn't even ask
the server for the page, unless the index.html is appended to the URL,
as far as I can see when I tail the log file.

How can I force IE to get a fresh copy of the main page every time?
Please help...

Best regards

Peter Normann

---