Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt Yackley <sa...@yackley.org> on 2004/02/05 04:14:20 UTC

[Ruleset Update] EvilNumbers ver. 1.12c & updated French language packs

It's been awhile since any updates have been posted, sorry... "real" work
is getting very, very busy, so updates may be a bit slow fo awhile, but I
try to keep up a better release schedule ;)

Changes:
Harvested more numbers.
Updated several rules due to spammers making small changes to get around
the rules.
Added optional rule change for EvilNumber_A_1XX_1, based on a report of
FPs on flipsidenewsletter.com.  This folks host a lot of stuff, for my
corporate setting, these are unwanted, but if you run an ISP it's possible
that your users may want these emails.  Due to how many hits I get on this
address, I kept them in, but created a commented rule that they are
removed from.  If you want or need these emails, edit the file and switch
the "#" from the first A_1XX_1 rule to the second A_1XX_1 rule.

Local Language Packs.
1/29/04
Updated French file with a better translation, thanks go to Pierre

Ruleset:
http://www.yackley.org/sa-rules/evilnumbers.cf

Language packs:
http://www.yackley.org/sa-rules/98_text_fr_evilnumbers.cf -Updated

Enjoy,
matt

Re: Obvious spamware programming screwup that didn't get caught

Posted by William Stearns <ws...@pobox.com>.
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Loren Wilton wrote:

> I just got a spam that was caught by a couple of my local and very specific
> rules, but otherwise would have made it through with flying colors.  Yet it
> has some really obvious screwups that I would have expected some rule to
> catch.  Notice:
>
> Subject: FWD: Got all meds 4 U. %RND_MEDS_4PILLS & %RND_MEDS_2PILLS eJTtq
>
> Aside from the suspicious FWD in uppercase, note the %RND_xxx tags.
>
> In the body:
>
>    We ship the following: %RND_MEDS_LIST
>    Plus: %RND_ALL_OTHER_MEDS
>
> Again, my favorite %RND_xxx tags.
>
> Shouldn't there already be a rule to catch this sort of thing?

	http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/random.current.cf
	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "We don't want an election without a paper trail...all three
owners of the companies who make these machines are donors to the Bush
administration.  Is this not corruption?"
        -- Gore Vidal
(Courtesy of http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/52/features-cooper.php)
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org

Obvious spamware programming screwup that didn't get caught

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.

Subject: FWD: Got all meds 4 U. %RND_MEDS_4PILLS & %RND_MEDS_2PILLS eJTtq

Aside from the suspicious FWD in uppercase, note the %RND_xxx tags.

In the body:

   We ship the following: %RND_MEDS_LIST
   Plus: %RND_ALL_OTHER_MEDS

Again, my favorite %RND_xxx tags.

Shouldn't there already be a rule to catch this sort of thing?

For that matter, I'm surprised there isn't a "suspicious html tags" checker.
It could be given increasing weight depending on the count of unlikely tags.
For instance, from the same spam:

        Loren