Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/03 20:06:33 UTC

Proposal: Simple Multi-domain Support

A number of people have asked for multi-domain support, i.e. the
ability to have different weblogs access by different domain names, so
I have written up the implementation that I use on my site:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/vScB. I'm not sure that this
proposal is really what we want in Roller. Perhaps you can provide
some feedback to help refine this and make it into a useful feature
for Roller 4.1.

- Dave

Re: Proposal: Simple Multi-domain Support

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
Oops, I guess Dave did deploy as the "root".  Is there a way to not
require the weblog  handle in the URL?  Any known obstacles to
implementing it this way in 4.1M2?

-- Sean

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
I agree, sounds good.  Go for it.

-- Allen

Posted by srinivasa marreddy <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sean,

--
-Srini Marreddy

Re: Proposal: Simple Multi-domain Support

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
Hi Dave, et. al.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
My thoughts ...

All url building should be done using the URLStrategy, so if there are a
couple places which aren't doing that then they should be fixed.

As Srinivasa said, putting the per weblog absolute url in the static
config doesn't make sense, it should be in the db and configurable at
runtime.  In fact, it probably makes most sense for that to be a
property of a Weblog and hence in the weblog table.

It sounds like there are 2 problems which may not share the same
solution.  In the past most people have asked for support of blog urls
by subdomain, such as myblog.domain.com.  In this case a blog owner
wouldn't have the ability to set their blog url to anything they want,
it's supposed to just be handled the same way for all blogs.  Your
proposal is to support blogs that can be hosted on any domain, which is
a slightly different problem.

Posted by srinivasa marreddy <sr...@gmail.com>.

--
-Srini Marreddy

Re: Proposal: Simple Multi-domain Support

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by srinivasa marreddy <sr...@gmail.com>.
   Looks simple and straight forward but to add new property for every
subdomain in properties file is going to be manual process. It would be
great if we store the url in the database( http://
screenname.rollerweblogger.org(default) or the other domain name ) during
registration process and use it instead of property file.

-Srini

--
-Srini Marreddy