Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> on 2020/12/03 15:08:49 UTC

[VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 8

Hi,

The Apache Heron community has voted and approved the proposal to release
Apache Heron (Incubating) version 0.20.3-rc8.  We are missing votes
from mentors on the project as we only have one mentor at the moment.
We request the Incubator PMC members to review and vote on this
incubator release.

The results of the Release Candidate 8 votes are below:

- Binded Approvals: 1

   * Dave Fisher

- Vote Thread

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r80fd0e8d462a6b54bff5e5a3d2dbf1dc71998e0007ef09c15e3133f8%40%3Cdev.heron.apache.org%3E

- Vote Result Thread

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r8fb91ad1e8547a15211c8e56501c3a15a76659ba182bd9d4fd0e70a9%40%3Cdev.heron.apache.org%3E

This is a call for a vote to the 8th release candidate for Apache Heron,
version 0.20.3-incubating.
We request project mentors (binded) as well as all contributors (unbinded)
and users to review and vote on this incubator release.

*  The tag to be voted upon: 0.20.3-incubating-rc8
(a4140f2352e764f66cc890e380460b561b352824)
The full list of changes and release notes are available at:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-heron/releases/tag/0.20.3-incubating-rc8

Files can be found in dist.apache.org
Source:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/heron/heron-0.20.3-incubating-candidate-8/
SHA-512 checksums:

b184e21a78ee0bbfef5f01e643f6c04addf652f1afdc24ab15369a3ac05df1619caf0daf96b4e4783c462037be9fce64569b210886ffb068d4a9009a614bdd08
 heron-0.20.3-incubating-rc8.tar.gz

*****
 Note that Bazel 3.7.0, Python 3.8 and Java 11 are required to build
this version *****

Please download the source package, and follow the compiling guide.
https://heron.incubator.apache.org/docs/next/compiling-overview/
to set up the environment, build and run locally. The build will take
approximately 45 minutes.

After Bazel is set up and works correctly, you can use these release check
scripts
https://github.com/apache/incubator-heron/blob/master/scripts/release_check/README.md#run-individual-release-checks
to verify the build.  The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until
the necessary number of votes are reached.

Please vote accordingly:
[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thank you,

The Apache Heron (Incubating) Team

Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 8

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Hi,

Hoping to get some votes on this RC.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Thanks all.  I will follow up on dev@heron to see what the community wants
to do.

- Josh

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 4:09 PM Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Dec 8, 2020, at 1:52 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> missing other things.
> >>
> >> Good catch as that file was in the .rat-excludes. This font is Class B
> and should not be included. Heron will need to find another Serif Font.
> >>
> >> https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL_web
> >

> > I think inclusion of fonts under the OFL may be a little more nuanced
> than that. Generally you can’t include compiled code in a source release, a
> binary font file may not be considered code and is unlikely to be modified,
> so it may be possible to include this in a source release. Perhaps best to
> ask on legal-discuss?
>
> I don’t consider an SVG based font to be strictly binary. It’s very opaque
> source. You can certainly derive metrics easily.
>
> Sure it’s probably worth describing if there is a way to include these in
> Source releases. Maybe the OFL 1.1 is more acceptable.
>

> > I know of several projects who do include OFL licensed fonts. A quick
> search shows  Atlas, Brooklyn, Cordova, ECharts, Falcon, Flex, Flink,
> Geode, Hivemall, Jena, MyFaces, ShardingSphere, Solr, Superset, Syncope,
> Taz, Usergrid, Wicket, Yetus, Zepplin and others mentioning it in their
> LICENSE file. I’ve not checked if it in their source release but do know
> that it is the case for some of these projects. Also possibly OFBiz.
> >
> > I recall this being discussed but can’t find the discussion and legal
> JIRAs don’t seem much help other than to say its category B. [1][2]
>
> Let’s ask again on legal-discuss@
>

> > But replacing it with a font under with a category A license is also an
> option.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Justin
> >
> > 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-380
> > 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-112

Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 8

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Dec 7, 2020, at 10:04 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
> -1 (binding) due to license and notice issues
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - LICENSE has issues (see below)
> - NOTICE has wrong year
> - DISCLAIMER exists (not WIP one)
> - no unexpected binary files
> - ASF files have ASF headers
>
> I’m a little confused by the LICENSE file.
>
> First off it uses URLs to link to the LICENSE text, the full license text often needs to be included as part of the license conditions (from ALv2, MIT and BSD style licenses so need to be included in the releases. While the URL are useful they can break over time or worse the license change, you should point to the license file in the licenses directory. Also part of the BSD and MIT licences include a copyright line and this will vary with each bit of included code.

You missed a licenses directory.

> JSXTransformer is listed under the Apache 2.0, MIT, BSD 2 clause and BSD 3 clause licenses. It may be that this files include 3rd party code under different licenses or the file itself is under multiple licenses. If it was under multiple licenses you would generally select which one you want to use. If not then each of those pieces of 3rd party code is likely to have its own name and copyright holder (for MIT and BSD licenses) which need to be included or pointed to by the LICENSE file.

This resource gives a single MIT license:

https://cdnjs.com/libraries/react/0.10.0

> LICENSE is also missing the license for the trykker font and may be missing other things.

Good catch as that file was in the .rat-excludes. This font is Class B and should not be included. Heron will need to find another Serif Font.

https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL_web

A review of the .rat-excludes is needed.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by H W <hu...@gmail.com>.
Carrying over my +1

Do we need two more binding +1, or just normal +1?

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Hi,

> [...]

>> > heron-0.20.3-incubating-rc8.tar.gz
>> >
>> > *****
>> > Note that Bazel 3.7.0, Python 3.8 and Java 11 are required to build
>> > this version *****
>> >
>> > Please download the source package, and follow the compiling guide.
>> > https://heron.incubator.apache.org/docs/next/compiling-overview/
>> > to set up the environment, build and run locally. The build will take
>> > approximately 45 minutes.
>> >
>> > After Bazel is set up and works correctly, you can use these release
>> check
>> > scripts
>> >
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-heron/blob/master/scripts/release_check/README.md#run-individual-release-checks
>> > to verify the build.  The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or
>> until
>> > the necessary number of votes are reached.

Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 8

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Carrying over my +1 (binding)