Posted to user@flink.apache.org by do...@dbruhn.de on 2017/11/22 09:41:23 UTC

Tooling for resuming from checkpoints

Hey,
we are running Flink 1.3.2 with streaming jobs and we are running into
issues when we are restarting a complete job (which can happen due to
various reasons: upgrading of the job, restarting of the cluster,
failures). The problem is that there is no automated way to find out
from which checkpoint-metadata (so externalized checkpoint) we should
resume. There can always be the situation that we are left with multiple
of those files: Now you want to use the most recent one which is
successfully written.

Is there any tooling available already which picks the latest good
checkpoint? Or at least a tool/commandline which we can use to validate
that a checkpoint is valid so we can pick the latest one?

How are others handling this? Manually?

Would be happy to get some input there,
Dominik

Re: Tooling for resuming from checkpoints

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Dominik,

the Web UI shows you the status of a checkpoint [0], so it might be
possible to retrieve the information via REST calls. Usually, you should
perform a savepoint for planned restarts. If a savepoint is successful
you can be sure to restart from it.

Otherwise the platform from data Artisans might be interesting for you
[1], it aims to improve the deployment for streaming application
lifecycles (disclaimer: I work for them).

Regards,
Timo

[0]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/monitoring/checkpoint_monitoring.html