Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Xu Hui Hui <xh...@xhh.me> on 2010/05/11 09:54:00 UTC

How to setup multinode cluster over different servers through firewall

He there!

1. I'm new to Cassandra.
2. I created multinode cluster which worked well between two computers
in LAN (192.168.1.31, 192.168.1.33) with reference to the official
wiki.
3. When creating multinode cluster between my computer (192.168.1.31)
and a remote server ( y.y.y.y ) it didn't work.
I referred to http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc/entry/connecting_through_firewall_using_jmx
  to let JMX use a fixed port rather than randomized ones, but it
didn't help.
I also passed "-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=x.x.x.x" in my local
computer (where x.x.x.x my public IP, and on the router I forwarded
all necessary ports to 192.168.1.31), still not work. It seems random
ports are still used which are blocked my the firewall/router.

Please point out what I have mistaken. Thanks a lot!

--
Xu Hui Hui

Re: How to setup multinode cluster over different servers through firewall

Posted by Xu Hui Hui <xh...@xhh.me>.
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the remote host is on the same network as the 192.168.*.* host, it should work
> unless one of those hosts is running a local firewall.

Not quite understand what you meant by "on the same network", but
connecting them
with VPN works.
Thanks anyway.

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
You didn't give a lot of details about the remoteness of the remote
server.  Remote hosts not be able to contact any host on the
192.168.*.* over the internet without routing support.  If the remote
host is on the same network as the 192.168.*.* host, it should work
unless one of those hosts is running a local firewall.

Gary.