Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by deepak <de...@jodohost.com> on 2007/01/31 20:57:29 UTC

huge cpu usage

Hello,

Suddenly, i notice huge cpu usage by SA on 3 different servers. nothing
was changed in custom rules or configuration recently. kindly suggest,
what might have been casing this.

Regards

Re: huge cpu usage

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 03:19:53 +0530, deepak <de...@jodohost.com>
wrote:

>Jan Doberstein wrote:
>> deepak schrieb:
>>
>>> Suddenly, i notice huge cpu usage by SA on 3 different servers. nothing
>>> was changed in custom rules or configuration recently. kindly suggest,
>>> what might have been casing this.
>>>

>> awl enable ?
>>

>No, awl is not enabled. also custom rules are less than 100K so i think
>this should not be an issue but still i see hight cpu usage by spamd.
>
>Regards

Don't know about the rest of the world, but I'm seeing a big rise in
spam over the last 48 hours or so (4 fold increase); could that
account for your spikes? From what I've seen the new tactic seems to
be multiple threads so it's almost a DOS. Also my greylists are taking
a pounding (I'm eternally grateful they are in a different thread
pool); almost to the minute the greylisting expires the hits are back.

Seems Feb is gonna be an interesting month if this is anything to go
by.

Nigel

Re: huge cpu usage

Posted by deepak <de...@jodohost.com>.

spamc 3.1.1 and procmail

Posted by ".rp" <pr...@moveupdate.com>.
Hi,

In our system wide .procmail I have been using /usr/bin/spammassin. Recently the
CPU usage has soared when spamassassin ran so I decided to use /usr/bin/spamc
with spamd running as a dameon.

well, it didn't quite work. here is a sample problem:
| /usr/bin/spamc -u $LOGNAME

 sendmail[21908]: l19HQGne021908: from=<bounce-422420-
1377318@lists.now.org>, size=18119, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<LYRIS-1377318-
422420-2007.02.09-08.29.35--xyzsom#xyz.com@lists.now.org>, proto=SMTP,
daemon=Daemon0, relay=lists.now.org [198.65.157.134]
 spamd[17291]: spamd: connection from localhost [127.0.0.1] at port 56232
 spamd[17291]: spamd: setuid to xyzsom succeeded
 net spamd[17291]: spamd: creating default_prefs:
/home/xyzsom/.spamassassin/user_prefs
 net spamd[17291]: mkdir /root/.spamassassin: Permission denied at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1469
 net spamd[17291]: config: cannot write to /home/xyzsom/.spamassassin/user_prefs:
Permission denied

I also tried spamc with no parameters but that did not help.
So what changes do I need to make? Will this adversly affect running
/usr/bin/spamassassin ?