Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com> on 2014/07/01 18:24:44 UTC

nodetool repair saying "starting" and then nothing, and nothing in any of the server logs either

I have a six node cluster in AWS (repl:3) and recently noticed that repair
was hanging.  I've run with the "-pr" switch.

I see this output in the nodetool command line (and also in that node's
system.log):
 Starting repair command #9, repairing 256 ranges for keyspace dev_a

but then no other output.  And I see nothing in any of the other node's log
files.

Right now the application using C* is turned off so there is zero activity.
I've let it be in this state for up to 24 hours with nothing more logged.

Any suggestions?

Re: nodetool repair saying "starting" and then nothing, and nothing in any of the server logs either

Posted by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com>.
"For what purpose are you running repair?"   Because I read that we should!
:-)

We do delete data from one column family quite regularly...from the other
CFs occasionally.  We almost never run with less than 100% of our nodes up.

In this configuration do we *need* to run repair?

Thanks,

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com>.
Given that an upgrade is (for various internal reasons) not an option at
this point...is there anything I can do to get repair working again?  I'll
also mention that I see this behavior from all nodes.

Thanks.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com>.
Does this output from jstack indicate a problem?

"ReadRepairStage:12170" daemon prio=10 tid=0x00007f9dcc018800 nid=0x7361
waiting on condition [0x00007f9db540c000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (parking)
        at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
        - parking to wait for  <0x0000000613e049d8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
        at
java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos(LockSupport.java:226)
        at
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.awaitNanos(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:2082)
        at
java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.poll(LinkedBlockingQueue.java:467)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1068)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1130)
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

"ReadRepairStage:12169" daemon prio=10 tid=0x00007f9dd4009000 nid=0x7340
waiting on condition [0x00007f9db53cb000]
[...]

"ReadRepairStage:12168" daemon prio=10 tid=0x00007f9dd001d000 nid=0x733f
waiting on condition [0x00007f9db51a6000]

Posted by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com>.
We're running 1.2.13.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
if the boxes are idle, you could use jstack and look at the stack… perhaps
it's locked somewhere.

Worth a shot.

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com