Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2017/11/02 14:15:18 UTC

[VOTE] uimaj-3.0.0-beta-rc8

Hi everyone,

Here's rc8 for uimaj 3.0.0-beta.

The changes since rc7 include some xml constants fixups to not depend on java
classes that may not be present in various versions of Java.

Also included are general improvements in adding generic typing to many UIMA
structures, updates to add missing javadocs, missing APIs in the jcas interface
for getting "empty" lists, and some upgrades to the main documentation and
examples to better reflect v3 idioms.

The updates to generic typing are designed to not break existing code, and it
seems to be OK as far as I was able to test; it would be great if you could test
this against other big projects (like dk-pro) to see if anything got missed.

Here are the Jiras:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%2012310570%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%2012339590%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC

Maven artifacts:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1165/

Source and binary zip/tar staged to:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/uimaj/3.0.0-beta-rc8/artifacts/

Eclipse update subsite:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/uimaj/3.0.0-beta-rc8/uimaj-v3-pre-production/

SVN tag: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uv3/uimaj-v3/tags/uimaj-3.0.0-beta/

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-3.0.0-beta-rc8

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-3.0.0-beta-rc8

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Richard, thanks for testing !

The statement about working with Java 8 or later could represent just wishful
thinking...

The original Java 9 implementation had "issues" when Java applications were
migrated to it; the Java 9 release was delayed to allow those to be worked on.
I haven't "tested" anything since then, so I don't know if this would work with
Java 9 or not...

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-3.0.0-beta-rc8

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
> On 02.11.2017, at 15:15, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
>
> Please vote on release:

- DKPro Core building against RC: ok
- diff SVN tag <-> source ZIP: ok
- local build with JDK 8 (empty local repo): ok
- checked svn diff to the last RC I checked: ok
- license-relevant changes: none
- Installed plugins from update site into new Eclipse, imported example project and ran example: ok
- signature spot check: ok

Nice updates to the examples and documentation!

The docs now say that UIMA works "with Java 8 or later". Are we compatible with Java 9 already?
The respective Jenkins build is currently disabled.

> [X] +1 OK to release
> [ ] 0 Don't care
> [ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] uimaj-3.0.0-beta-rc8

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
The vote passes, with 3 +1 votes received and no other votes.

+1 Marshall Schor

+1 Richard Eckart de Castilho

+1 Burn Lewis.

Thanks for the testing! -Marshall

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-3.0.0-beta-rc8

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thanks for the good feedback Burn, and apologies the migration was painful!
Let's learn from the pain...  I'll put in some Jira's for improvement, as I gain
sufficient understanding to do this :-)

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-3.0.0-beta-rc8

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.