Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com> on 2004/03/27 17:06:55 UTC

Tomcat does not see SunJCE?

When I run Security.getProviders() in Tomcat, I do not get SunJCE.  All I
see is:

SUN
SunJSSE
SunRsaSign
SunJGSS

even though I have the following in the java.security file:

security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
security.provider.2=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
security.provider.3=com.sun.rsajca.Provider
security.provider.4=com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE
security.provider.5=sun.security.jgss.SunProvider
Why is that?  When I run from the command line, I do get SunJCE.  I get:

SUN
SunJSSE
SunRsaSign
SunJCE
SunJGSS

Accordingly, I can run KeyPairGenerator.getInstance("DH") from the command
line, but not from a JSP page in Tomcat.  I have no problem with Resin, so
I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the problem is in Tomcat.

Anyone have any ideas?

Michael McGrady

Re: Tomcat does not see SunJCE? SOLUTION

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
For some reason Tomcat is not seeing the com.sun.crypto.provider package in
jre/lib/ext.  The work around is to put the SunJCE provider
(sunjce_provider.jar) into commons/lib of Tomcat and to then add the
provider manually with
   Security.addProvider(new com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE()).  Why this is
necessary is a quandry to me.  If I had a clue why this was happening, I
would try to fix it.  But, this is not my area of expertise and I am stumped.