Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/21 10:23:25 UTC

A few Q's

Hello fellows !
�
James 2.1.3 on Win2k Pro platform is in question.
�
1)What exactly does <deliveryThreads> mean in a
RemoteDelivery tag ? Does this mean that setting it to
N would make James attempt delivery of N mails
simultaneously to the specified gateway ?

<mailet class="RemoteDelivery" match="HostIs=abc.com">
  <outgoing>file://var/mail/relay2/</outgoing>
  <delayTime>300000</delayTime>
  <maxRetries>6</maxRetries>
  <deliveryThreads>50</deliveryThreads> -- ???
  <gateway>192.168.1.2</gateway>
  <gatewayPort>25</gatewayPort>
  </mailet>

�
2)What is the relation between Spool threads and
<deliveryThreads> ? Does the number of spool threads
serve as a master total of possible
<deliverythreads>?E.g: If i have two <remotedelivery>
tags set up, do i have to keep the TOTAL of
<deliveryThreads> (of both gatewatys) equal to the
number of Spool threads?

<spoolmanager>
<threads>30</threads>  --- ???

3) I use a DNS to deliver outbound mails. Often I see
mails remaining in the outbound queue even if the
<delaytime> has been passed and often never retrying
the mails to be delivered. Where should i start
scratching ?

<mailet class="RemoteDelivery"
match="CheckOutgoing=192.168.1.2">
  <outgoing>file://var/mail/out_relay/</outgoing>

Re: A few Q's

Posted by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Wow !
Thanx Serge for a quality reply...!
For several unavoidable reasons, I'll remain stuck to
James 2.1.3 until at least the first quarter of 2005.
AWWWWWW !!! :((

So, can i workaround the DNS problem one bit ?
Plus, do we have some numbers available on a typical
SMTP smarthost setting ?? As to what should be the
best configuration (in terms of delivery/spool
threads)
for about 15,000 incoming/outgoing mails daily ?

lahu !

Re: Sender in Fake Domain !

Posted by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com>.
--- Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> wrote:
>What version of James are you using?

I wish I could reproduce the embarassed smiley icon
(the one in MSN messnger). I was looking at the source
of James with Phoenix 2.2.0a18  :)

Regards,
Lahu

Re: Sender in Fake Domain !

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Lahu wrote:
> Wont it be appropriate to use the "RemoteDelivery"
> snippet to find out that the domain actually exists
> because there are several operating businesses which
> only have the SMTP domain (handled by ISP's) and no
> website, in which case their emails would always be
> delivered to the SPAM folder.

These two blocks should be using the exact same query (as the comment
says, look for MX, A, and CNAME records).  What version of James are you
using?

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Sender in Fake Domain !

Posted by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Has anyone had 100% success on "Sender in Fake Domain"
(SIFD) matcher ?

In some recent tests I saw that SIFD matcher was
dispatching some of my legitimate inbound mails to
SPAM. Mails from known domains (company clients in
this case) were sent to the Spam folder. For example:
"aramco.com" and a few other valid ones.

>From what i ve seen here is that "Sender in Fake
Domain" checks for the validity of the domain
submitted in MAIL FROM command, which, in this case,
was "aramco.com" of the sender "example@aramco.com".

I "NSlookup(ed)" for all such domains and found one
thing in common. All of these domains cannot be
reached by typing their respective names in the
web-browser. They need the "www." prefix in order to
be reachable. ( I dont know what to call this stuff, I
m bad at DNS terminology ).

For instance, you cannot reach the ARAMCO site just by
typing "aramco.com" in the browser address bar, you
have to qualify it with the "www." prefix.

Then i lookd up the code for SIFD which uses the
following snippet:

 //DNS Lookup for this domain
        Collection servers =
getMailetContext().getMailServers(domain);
        if (servers.size() == 0) {
            //No records...could not deliver to this
domain, so matches criteria.
            log("No MX, A, or CNAME record found for
domain: " + domain);
            return mail.getRecipients();

Wondering then how can i send them emails
successfully, since I use a DNS to deliver emails ?? I
looked up the "RemoteDelivery" code, which uses the
following snippet to send emails.

//Lookup the possible targets
                targetServers =
getMailetContext().getSMTPHostAddresses(host);

My question is:

Wont it be appropriate to use the "RemoteDelivery"
snippet to find out that the domain actually exists
because there are several operating businesses which
only have the SMTP domain (handled by ISP's) and no
website, in which case their emails would always be
delivered to the SPAM folder.

Would this hack work, if I recompile James with the
replaced code ?

Correct me if I m wrong.

Humbly,
Lahu

RE: Unblocking mails !

Posted by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Dear Noel,
The "FromRepository" does not Re-spool without
restarting mails.

The response given to this guy(Chris):

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=21&msgNo=7034

Can something similar of the sort be done on a
FileSystem repository ?

Regards,
Lahu

RE: Unblocking mails !

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
See the FromRepository mailet in v2.2

	--- Noel

Unblocking mails !

Posted by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Is there a consistent way to *Unblock* legitimate
mails *WITHOUT* restarting JAMES ?
I tried cut/pasting those mails from Spam/Error to
Spool again with a modified Subject and appropriately
set up matcher for that purpose... heheh.. but it
looks that James is smarter than that  ;)
Any clues ?

Thanx !

Lahu

RE: Remote Delivery Exception !

Posted by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,

I just went thru my entire config file and cudnt
really find a misconfiguration in that. All my
remotedelivery tags (5 or 6 in there) have properly
set up gateway tags. Havent been really able to figure
out that wat really causes this.
I have a rather heavy daily activity (around 40 to 45
thousand mailz a day) and this issue is causing a loss
of about 300 - 500 mailz daily. SOS !

Best regardz
Lahu

Remote Delivery Exception !