Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/20 01:08:20 UTC

[drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?

Mikhail Fursov,
I would like to commit Harmony-2008 but first  need to know the permanent
public location of mmtk.jar.  My apologies if this has already been
resolved.  I looked through old email and was not able to find what
happened.

--
Weldon Washburn

Re: [drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
Mikhail, are you planning to implement the write-barrier inlining?
That is necessary for GCv5 to be reasonably performing. The fast path
for write barrier is very simple: just checking parameter p_target is
smaller than nursery boudary and p_slot is not smaller. If the
checking returns true, a slow path native function is called;
otherwise it simply returns. The nursery space boundary can be a
compilation time constant (at the moment, it's a variable with a
constant value that is initialized by after gc initialization).

Thanks,
xiaofeng

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/06, Robin Garner <ro...@anu.edu.au> wrote:

> So far we are keeping it as close to the original as possible.  The two
> forms of Uninterruptible have gone from
>
> class xyz implements Uninterruptible
> public type method() throws UninterruptiblePragma

> @Uninterruptible class xyz
> @Uninterruptible method()
>
> so the InlinePragma, NoInlinePragma etc. should work the same way.
>
> Ok, so it makes sence to avoid @Inline annotation and use InlinePragma in
the same way as it's used in mmtk for us too. Doing this we use old
fashioned design but keep compatibility. If someone objects and thinks that
we should not use old-style design here please speak up.

--
Mikhail Fursov

Re: [drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?

Posted by Robin Garner <ro...@anu.edu.au>.
> Weldon,
> Thank you for the commit. Allocation helper inlining is enabled by default
> in server mode only and does not affect any other mode today. Now it's
> much
> more easy to work on inlining of new helpers - diff is not so massive.
>
> Robin,
> I think we can wait. BTW is there any doc about annotations format will be
> used in new magics? I ask it because I think we need to have some special
> annotations for helpers today too.For example: an annotation that shows
> that
> the method must be inlined into the caller. This can be used when 2
> helpers
> share a part of code.

So far we are keeping it as close to the original as possible.  The two
forms of Uninterruptible have gone from

class xyz implements Uninterruptible
public type method() throws UninterruptiblePragma

@Uninterruptible class xyz
@Uninterruptible method()

so the InlinePragma, NoInlinePragma etc. should work the same way.

cheers

Re: [drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/06, Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Weldon,
> Thank you for the commit. Allocation helper inlining is enabled by default
> in server mode only and does not affect any other mode today. Now it's
> much
> more easy to work on inlining of new helpers - diff is not so massive.

Glad to help out.  Please note I had an svn "conflict" in setup.xml.
Sombody committed changes to the exact same lines of code as your patch.
Please do a fresh checkout to make sure I did the merge correctly.  Also,
please update the external download dependency as soon as possible.  I would
hate to see 78 emails on dev titled, "build update no longer works".

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Weldon,
Thank you for the commit. Allocation helper inlining is enabled by default
in server mode only and does not affect any other mode today. Now it's much
more easy to work on inlining of new helpers - diff is not so massive.

Robin,
I think we can wait. BTW is there any doc about annotations format will be
used in new magics? I ask it because I think we need to have some special
annotations for helpers today too.For example: an annotation that shows that
the method must be inlined into the caller. This can be used when 2 helpers
share a part of code.

Xia-Feng,
My current plan for helpers is to finish new_vector and monenter/monexit
synchronization helpers in a couple of weeks. After it's done I think
load_interface helper could be analysed. If you need WB helper inlined we
can start a separate thread and discuss all of the details: how to write
helper, where to get nursery borders and other data in Java.

On 11/28/06, Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> and
> > > vmmagic.sf.netsite
> >

> > Hi Robin,
> >   Are you planning to update vmmagic.sf.net soon? As far as I know, it
> has
> > always been empty. I am not very comfortable on taking an external
> > dependency on a personal website.
>
> hmm... good point.  I just now got harmony-2008 patch applied, built and
> passing tests on Linux 32.  This is the second stab at committing this
> patch.  I'd like to get it out of the way soon.  Unless someone tells me
> stop, I will commit this patch in the next three hours.  Mikhail can fix
> the
> download logistics in another patch.  I just now checked the above two web
> sites.  The download is available from both.
>
> Thanks,
> > Rana
> >

> --
> Weldon Washburn

Mikhail Fursov

Re: [drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 11/27/06, Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/26/06, Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >My proposal is to use:
> > >http://cs.anu.edu.au/people/Robin.Garner/mmtk-20061012.jar as primary
> > >location and
> > >http://nightworks.sourceforge.net/mmtk-20061012.jar as backup today and
> > >replace it with smaller library when Steve will put it to
> > vmmagic.sf.netsite
>

> Hi Robin,
>   Are you planning to update vmmagic.sf.net soon? As far as I know, it has
> always been empty. I am not very comfortable on taking an external
> dependency on a personal website.

hmm... good point.  I just now got harmony-2008 patch applied, built and
passing tests on Linux 32.  This is the second stab at committing this
patch.  I'd like to get it out of the way soon.  Unless someone tells me to

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Wow.  Peter Donald - I haven't seen you for years...

geir

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/06, Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org> wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Why public domain?  That can actually be problematic from a strict
> > > licensing POV for reasons I don't remember or can't really explain clearly.
> >
> > This is off topic, but that seems counter-intuitive. Wouldn't public
> > domain mean no worries?
>
> With public domain software (which effectively means software that you
> disclaim copyright on) can lead you open to litigation. Partially as a
> result of your inability to disclaim warranty or fitness for intended
> use. So your software goes *boom* then you may be responsible for
> damages due to some implied warranty or even expressed warranty (if
> you said the software was good go use it!).

Were there any real cases like this?  Or this is only a thought risk?

Thanks,
xiaofeng

Posted by Robin Garner <ro...@anu.edu.au>.

> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>>> clearly.

>>> With public domain software (which effectively means software that you
>>> disclaim copyright on) can lead you open to litigation. Partially as a
>>> result of your inability to disclaim warranty or fitness for intended
>>> use. So your software goes *boom* then you may be responsible for
>>> damages due to some implied warranty or even expressed warranty (if
>>> you said the software was good go use it!).
>>
>> Interesting. Thanks for turning on that light bulb.
>>
>> All of the concurrency code we're using is public domain, as defined
>> by this URL, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain. There's
>> no mention of warranty in the code or the site we get it from. Is this
>> bad for the authors? Is this bad for Harmony?
>
> It's not ideal, but we have little choice.
>
> geir
>

>> -Nathan
>>

>>> Different countries have all sorts of twisted laws regarding its use.
>>> While I don't pretend to understand them I have been told by people
>>> who do know stuff that generally it is a very bad idea to try and
>>> public domain software - even if you know the appropriate steps
>>> required to disclaim copyright.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Peter Donald

Given that all we would be re-licensing is an interface, the probability
of lawsuits would seem to me to be negligibly small, but I'll remember
people's comments when we have the licensing debate.  The aim is to have
it under a license where nobody who wants to use/implement it is prevented
from doing so by the license.

cheers

Re: [drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On 11/28/06, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All of the concurrency code we're using is public domain, as defined
> by this URL, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain. There's
> no mention of warranty in the code or the site we get it from. Is this
> bad for the authors? Is this bad for Harmony?

It is not ideal for the author. However, I do not think it is bad for
harmony (assuming you are referring to Doug Leas stuff???) as both the
author and Apache are located in America and thus covered by that law.
I believe it gets more tricky in certain European countries. Then
again IANAL

On 11/28/06, Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Were there any real cases like this?  Or this is only a thought risk?

I don't know - it is enough to scare lawyers

On 11/28/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Wow.  Peter Donald - I haven't seen you for years...

still alive! ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: [drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Robin Garner <ro...@anu.edu.au>.
Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> On 11/26/06, Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >My proposal is to use:
>> >http://cs.anu.edu.au/people/Robin.Garner/mmtk-20061012.jar as primary
>> >location and
>> >http://nightworks.sourceforge.net/mmtk-20061012.jar as backup today and
>> >replace it with smaller library when Steve will put it to
>> vmmagic.sf.netsite
>

> Hi Robin,
>   Are you planning to update vmmagic.sf.net soon? As far as I know, it has
> always been empty. I am not very comfortable on taking an external
> dependency on a personal website.
>
> Thanks,
> Rana

Just clarified this with Steve.  We are planning to put the first
release of vmmagic up in 3-4 weeks, as soon as JikesRVM has finished its
transition to Java 1.5 (the first commit for this happened yesterday).
This affects vmmagic because we are moving to Annotations for the pragmas.

We are also discussing licensing, and the possibility of releasing the
interface into the Public Domain (which requires the agreement of the
copyright holders in the JikesRVM project).

cheers

--
Robin Garner
Dept. of Computer Science
Australian National University

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Weldon, Egor,
I've come back from my travel and now is ready to continue the work.
Here is answers for the questions:

1) Where is mmtk.jar?
I think Weldon should now more details from Robin or Steve. I see that
vmmagic.sf.net have not been updated since its creation.
My proposal is to use:
http://cs.anu.edu.au/people/Robin.Garner/mmtk-20061012.jar as primary
location and
http://nightworks.sourceforge.net/mmtk-20061012.jar as backup today and
replace it with smaller library when Steve will put it to vmmagic.sf.netsite

2) Harmony-2008 status
The patch was committed a month ago. Today it can't be applied cleanly. I'm
going to fix it asap.

3) gc_cc.xml CRLFs
When patch was prepared the gc_cc.xml had CRLF endings even on Linux
platform. I needed to add more targets to gc_cc.xml so I fixed it in the
patch. So the patch removes CRLFs but does not add them.
I will recheck the problem again in the updated patch version.

--
Mikhail Fursov

Re: [drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.