Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Mark Masterson <ma...@compuserve.com> on 2001/10/01 20:05:40 UTC

RE: New JMX code in 1.2 alpha

Ahh!  I got it.  Sun's download site for the JMX offers two options -
binaries or source.  When you download the "binaries", all you get is a PDF
white paper and Javadocs.  When you download the "source", you get source,
Jars, Javadocs and a whole lot more.  That includes the HtmlAdaptor.  The
Javadocs you get with the "binaries" download contain no mention whatsoever
of the "sun.com..." classes.  You and I have been talking about two slightly
different things, and I have been assuming you had downloaded the JDMK
evaluation kit, *in addition to the JMX*, since I didn't understand where
else you could have gotten a copy of the HtmlAdpator.  I've since downloaded
the JMX "source", and now I see where you got it from.

*Nevertheless*, I'm afraid the situation still looks bad.  In the
documentation that comes with "jmx-1_0_1-ri_bin.zip", there are statements
like this:
"In this software bundle, Sun also provides classes for an HTML adaptor:
these are independent of the JMX specification and are provided only for
demonstration purposes." (in ../jmx/index.htm).
And this "This last package contains implementation internals that are not
defined by the JMX specification." (in ../jmx/doc/files.htm, referring to
the "com.sun.." pacakage).
"The Java class files of the RI toolkit, mainly the HTML protocol adaptor.
These classes are not part of the JMX RI per se, but are provided with it
for added functionality" (on the same page).
And this, probably the most explicit statement: "Note: The HTML adaptor is a
tool provided in this software bundle for demonstration purposes. Its
classes are not defined by the JMX specification and are therefore not part
of the JMX reference implementation." (in ../jmx/doc/tutorial.htm).

Finally, the license I got prompted to agree to at download was labeled "SUN
COMMUNITY SOURCE LICENSE", and made explicit references to redistribution
etc.  Quote:

"II.  PURPOSE.

Original Contributor is licensing the Reference Code and
Technology Specifications and is permitting implementation
of Technology under and subject to this Sun Community Source
License (the "License") to promote research, education,
innovation and product development using the Technology.

COMMERCIAL USE AND DISTRIBUTION OF TECHNOLOGY IS PERMITTED
ONLY UNDER OPTIONAL SUPPLEMENTS TO THIS LICENSE."

Note that last sentence there.  Essentially, this license grants you what
Sun refers to as "Research use" rights, which are defined as:

""Research Use" means research, evaluation, development,
educational or personal and individual use, excluding use or
distribution for direct or indirect commercial (including
strategic) gain or advantage."

I'm not a lawyer, Ceki, and maybe the ASF will need to involve one, but this
sure doesn't look to me like the sort of thing you can use in Log4J...
In a business law class I once had, I remember hearing a term that sort of
applies here; "bait and switch".  Sun lures you in with the JMX RI, which
includes an adaptor ("bait"), and then when you're hooked, and you want to
actually use the thing, they hit you up for licensing fees of many thousands
of dollars ("switch").  And these guys complain about Microsoft?  Sheesh...