Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jacob AtTrimble <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2004/08/12 23:17:48 UTC

Extend "svn log" to find all copies & revisions of a file?

I posted a request on the TortoiseSVN list for replicating the WinCVS "graph
selection" feature, but got back that the information needed for that would
require essentially a full client-side repository traversal and hence not be
that usable.

Would it be possible to extend "svn log" with an option that would give a
listing of all the locations a file is copied to, so that a wincvs type of
graph can be created for a file?

svn log currently only traces one "line of ancestry" in the history and the
--stop-on-copy switch doesn't solve this problem (since it only tracks back
until the start of the branch, it doesn't give info on the other branches).

Thanks,
/Jacob

Re: Extend "svn log" to find all copies & revisions of a file?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> The repository database schema only tracks history going backwards and
> time.

Brane has expressed the desire to accomodate forward history (copy-to):

	http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svn/archive-2004-05/0043.shtml

but only in the context of 2.0 changes.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Extend "svn log" to find all copies & revisions of a file?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 18:17, Jacob AtTrimble wrote:

> Would it be possible to extend "svn log" with an option that would give a
> listing of all the locations a file is copied to, so that a wincvs type of
> graph can be created for a file?

The repository database schema only tracks history going backwards and
time.  There's no way to ask the repository to track copies going
-forward- in time.  In fact, the only way to discover this is via brute
force search, and nobody's ever implemented that.

Here's an explanation you should read:

   http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/schema-tradeoffs.txt