Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/11 13:15:24 UTC

Web site and Confluence

Currently, the deployed site is a 'forrest' antique.

We have some pretty reasonable content sitting in Confluence. As you
may know, in general, intrastructure@apache is pushing projects from
Confluence to their new Markdown+svn CMS. The reason is their problems
with the generic export technology used historically with Confluence.

Some of us are not really thrilled at editing Markdown in a text
editor or web browser.

Dan Kulp has gone and created an alternative Confluence export device.
It meets the strictures of infrastructure@ and it allows site
maintenance in Confluence.

I'd like to make ws.apache.org use Confluence (with some maven site
output as appropriate), using Dan's technology. Anybody object?

Re: Web site and Confluence

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
I don't think that any of the subprojects publish their sites directly
to people.apache.org. The standard workflow is as follows:

1. Generate the site locally.
2. Commit the site to SVN.
3. Do an svn update on people.apache.org.
4. Wait for the find+rsync stuff to synchronize the live site. This
can take several hours.

SvnPubSub would simplify this process a lot because it eliminates
items 3 and 4. I think that in order to use SvnPubSub, the only
requirement for us would be consolidate the different parts of the
site into a single tree in SVN (right now, different subdirectories on
people.apache.org:/www/ws.apache.org are working directories checked
out from different locations in SVN) [1]. Since there are still a
couple of pending todo items from the Axis TLP migration (there is
still some Axis stuff on ws.apache.org), this would be a good occasion
to work on this consolidation.

Anyway, for the SvnPubSub vs. find+rsync question, I fully agree with
the point of view of the infrastructure team. Therefore I think it's
best to include SvnPubSub in the scope of the Web site changes as soon
as possible, and not to wait for 2012. However, that would mean that
your export tool must be able to commit changes to SVN. Do you think
that it's feasible to include that requirement into the scope?

Andreas

[1] Looking at the source code of the commit hook for SvnPubSub, I
don't see anything that would be able to handle SVN externals, so we
really need to move the different parts of the site into a single
location.

Re: Web site and Confluence

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Re: Web site and Confluence

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web site and Confluence

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
+1. The WSS4J website is in dire need of an update, and I'd much
rather do it via a wiki.

Colm.

Re: Web site and Confluence

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

Sorry to expose your machinations prematurely, but I couldn't see
deploying this on the ws project without discussing it with the ws
PMC. And the thought of extensive 'forrestry' to get the site up to
speed is pretty depressing.

--benson

Re: Web site and Confluence

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.