Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com> on 2012/07/14 12:38:52 UTC

Discussion: Application Metrics Feature

I have an application metrics feature working on my local copy and I was
wondering if there would be any interest in including it in the project.

A metric is a measure of average execution time. Each metric is given a
unique name.

I modified the control servlet and service dispatcher to use metrics. To
add a metric to a request, just include an XML element:

<metric name="URL: webtools/main" />

to the request map and the average response time for the URL will be
maintained. Likewise, to add a metric to a service, just include an XML
element:

<metric name="Service: createMaintsFromTimeInterval" />

to the service definition and the average execution time for the service
will be maintained.

Metrics are kept in memory. There is a service to retrieve all metrics.
There is also a Web Tools page to view all metrics.

A heartbeat server could retrieve the metrics to check on server load or
to provide histograms.

The metric element has an optional threshold attribute, so some action
could be taken when the metric crosses a threshold. For example, in the
following request map:

<request-map uri="ViewMetrics">
     <security https="true" auth="true"/>
     <metric name="URL: webtools/ViewMetrics" threshold="1000"/>
     <response name="success" type="view" value="ViewMetrics"/>
     <response name="threshold-exceeded" type="view"
value="ServerBusy"/><!-- displays a friendly 'server busy' page -->
</request-map>

the ServerBusy view would be rendered if the average response time
exceeded 1000 mS. This can be useful for providing a lively web
experience on a heavy-traffic web page.

The service dispatcher does not use the threshold. I could not think of
a use case where service behavior should be modified based on average
execution time.

The metrics code is very small - two java files. Also, the modifications
to the webapp component and service component are very small.

What do you think?

-Adrian

Re: Discussion: Application Metrics Feature

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1, looks quite good to me!

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.
Le 16/07/2012 12:04, Adrian Crum a écrit :
> If anyone is placing themselves over anyone else, it is you. Scott and
> I are trying to help you understand how this community works, but you
> are not interested in being taught - you are only interested in
> railroading through your opinions.
I completely agree with Adrian and Scott, their answers are clear and
only re-explain goal of each mailing-list.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
And for expressing that you think of it as if I need to be taught something
as a little child.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
No, that's exactly what this discussion is about, here let me remind you about what Ruth asked:
> Shouldn't this be discussed on the "user" list?

The mailing lists are what they are, I'm just describing the purposes that they are intended to fill.  I'm not placing myself above the community, I don't even know how to respond to that.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Please take some time to understand the purpose of the mailing lists:

If a user wants to be involved in the design of OFBiz, then they need to
be subscribed to the dev list. We do not discuss requirements and
designs on the user list.

No one is excluded from participation. I proposed an idea. Others
commented on it. If there had been any objections to including it in the
project, then I would offer it as an add-on. Excluding a proposal from
the project does not equal exclusion from participation.

-Adrian

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
there must be a language barrier here.
it was a suggestion and as I prefaced, I used Pierre's since I did not
want to find the original. I could have used yours just as well.
It was if you want to get something done, do it yourself type of suggestion.
You add to the drama Ruth.
Not something I enjoy.

Ruth Hoffman sent the following on 7/16/2012 9:25 AM:

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Ruth,

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Adrian:

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Adrian,

Posted by Michael Brohl <of...@brohl.net>.
Hi Adrian,

that sounds like an interesting feature for OFBiz.
I would like to have it available in the project.

Thanks and regards,

Michael

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Please take time to understand how the community works:

Commits are not reverted simply because a user asks for it.

-Adrian

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
just for clarification this is not a new features map, but a Dev
consideration map. so people can see what has been considered and the
outcome.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 7/16/2012 3:54 AM:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>
> Adrian,
>
> I want you and any other committer to follow the procedures and guidelines
> established by the Apache foundation. If you feel that you aren't obliged
> to adhere to them you shouldn't be a committer.
>
> Jacques,
>
> The Apache document on voting (which has been referred to) clearly states
> that voting should take place for at least 72 hours to let everybody in the
> community have his or her say. Also, although the document also states that
> only PMC members have a binding vote the expressions made by other
> community members should be considered as well.
> Furthermore, Adrian explicitly said 'any objection'. Thus, inviting any
> OFBiz member participating in development. If Adrian kept to his word, we
> would have seen the commits reverted. And not have this discussion.

Vote is only when no consensus is found. I can agree Adrian was a bit short on time, else there was a consensus it seems (note the
number of +1), apart Ruth and you. Not even sure Ruth is against actually.

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Pierre,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Pierre,

The below procedure are not ASF but OFBiz. There is nothing about it in ASF rules. Each community is asked to use its own. These are
OFBiz's.
Please note that only PMC members have the right to vetoing a commit http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#binding-votes
also read carefully http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto and all the page

It's all about meritocracy http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#meritocracy