Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Garner, Shawn" <sh...@vangent.com> on 2007/05/03 19:56:29 UTC

War with timestamp not using META-INF/context.xml path

Tomcat 5.5.17

JDK 1.5

I deployed a war through the online manager and it deployed it under the
filename instead of the

path in the META-INF/context.xml of the war.

So my war is mycontext-20070427-0946-sys.war

And my context.xml has path="/mycontext" in it but it deployed it under
mycontext-20070427-0946-sys.

I thought it should read the path and deploy it under /mycontext without
the timestamp.

Shawn

Re: War with timestamp not using META-INF/context.xml path

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/07, Garner, Shawn <sh...@vangent.com> wrote:
> We don't use a deployment script.
> Not sure if we could, it's all secured and isolated.

> Without the timestamp and the environment in the war name somebody could
> deploy a war to the wrong environment or an old war.

> Sounds to me like if it is easy enough to use the filename that you
> could use the path attribute in META-INF/context.xml just as easy.

As Chuck mentioned, this is not possible.

If you consider using an Ant Build Script or Maven or other (your
choice), then you could auto deploy remotely to any location with just
the WAR file name minus the timestamp as Chuck mentioned.

However, build scripts are out of the scope of this list, but each
build tool has their own mailing list - I know Ant has one, probably
Maven and others have their own.

> Shawn

-Regards
Rashmi

RE: War with timestamp not using META-INF/context.xml path

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Garner, Shawn [mailto:shawn.garner@vangent.com]
> Subject: RE: War with timestamp not using META-INF/context.xml path
>
> We don't use a deployment script.
> Not sure if we could, it's all secured and isolated.

If you do it by hand, you can do it with a script.

> Without the timestamp and the environment in the war name
> somebody could deploy a war to the wrong environment or an
> old war.

Which is why you should be using a script to avoid such human errors.

> Sounds to me like if it is easy enough to use the filename that you
> could use the path attribute in META-INF/context.xml just as easy.

The path attribute is there primarily for compatibility with the bad old
days, where it occasionally caused a great deal of confusion.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: War with timestamp not using META-INF/context.xml path

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Garner, Shawn" <sh...@vangent.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Garner, Shawn [mailto:shawn.garner@vangent.com]
> Subject: RE: War with timestamp not using META-INF/context.xml path
>
> The fourth bullet says this:
>
> -if the previous file was not found for this application, in an
> individual file at /META-INF/context.xml inside the application files
>
> Sure sounds like it should to me.

You seem to be rigorously ignoring the primary statement in my earlier
response:

"Neither the path nor the docBase attributes are allowed when the
<Context> element is in META-INF/context.xml."

Read the description of the path attribute for the <Context> element:

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: War with timestamp not using META-INF/context.xml path

> path in the META-INF/context.xml of the war.

Neither the path nor the docBase attributes are allowed when the
<Context> element is in META-INF/context.xml.  As the doc states, the
URI path to the webapp is derived from the name of the .war file.  Look
here for details:

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.