Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2003/07/05 22:56:51 UTC

.cvsignore

Hi,
the .cvsignore features a quite prominent "build" entry. However,
Eclipse thinks there is s lot of uncommitted stuff in this directory,
which I find annoying. Isn't it supposed to ignore this?
Even more unfortunate: the commandline cvs complains about missing
CVS directories in build/ and subdirectories too on commit, which
means it somehow descends there. According to the cvs info page this
shouldn't happen either.
Am I doing something wrong?

J.Pietschmann

Re: .cvsignore

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Self follow-up: Is
>  http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/keyboards/5c3f/
> of some use? The text claims it reduces CVS! :-)

That's a Subversive remark!
--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: .cvsignore

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Self follow-up: Is

Re: .cvsignore

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Dimanche, 6 juil 2003, à 03:32 Europe/Zurich, Peter B. West a écrit :

> ...Speaking from blissful ignorance, I would speculate that the
> entries in .cvsignore must be ordinary files, not directories.  CVS is
> going to navigate the tree anyway, but .cvsignore tells it what to do
> with the files it finds in each directory....

According to the CVS FAQ
(http://www.loria.fr/cgi-bin/molli/
fom.cgi?_highlightWords=cvsignore&file=271) this is not the case,
directories are indeed ignored.

> ...J.Pietschmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>> the .cvsignore features a quite prominent "build" entry. However,
>> Eclipse thinks there is s lot of uncommitted stuff in this directory,
>> which I find annoying. Isn't it supposed to ignore this?...

it is - the .cvsignore from the current CVS works fine here with
command-line CVS, "build" is ignored.

-Bertrand

Re: .cvsignore

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Joerg,

Speaking from blissful ignorance, I would speculate that the entries in
.cvsignore must be ordinary files, not directories.  CVS is going to
navigate the tree anyway, but .cvsignore tells it what to do with the
files it finds in each directory.

According to info,

* As CVS traverses through your directories, the contents of any
`.cvsignore' will be appended to the list.  The patterns found in
`.cvsignore' are only valid for the directory that contains them,
  not for any sub-directories.

That seems to imply a per-directory view, which would explain the
behaviour you are seeing.  It looks as though you need a CVS directory
within each build subdirectory, and a .cvsignore with, say,
* .* (or .[!.]*)
in each directory.  That's not a bad idea.  It leaves the directory
structure intact, at the cost of having to be specific with the 'clean'
target.  Eclipse will be *much* happier.  So will I.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: .cvsignore

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
The best approach might be for us to manage this ourselves.  If we check
with infrstructure on the process of archiving a snapshot of the tree,
arrange to tag the tree at that point, ,then use the -o outdate admin
fucntion to prune the tree.  Outdated ranges cannot contain locks or
branches, but all fo the cruft between can be cleaned up, and we can be
left with what is effectively the last few releases and alt.design.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: .cvsignore

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: .cvsignore

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Oops.  You can blame me for that one then.  alt.design has a few things
under the build directory.  Once a directory is created, there is no
sanctioned way to remove it from the repository.  The structure must
remain in order to re-create any version that is in the repository.  I
think.  Happy bivouacs, Jeremias.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: .cvsignore

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I've read an FAQ entry a while back. I think we just have to remove the
build directory on cvs.apache.org to get rid of the problem. Eclipse
ignores parts of the cvsignore file if there are files on the CVS server
in ignored directories.

BTW: I'll be offline during the next five days. The green guys call
again.

On 05.07.2003 22:56:51 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> the .cvsignore features a quite prominent "build" entry. However,
> Eclipse thinks there is s lot of uncommitted stuff in this directory,
> which I find annoying. Isn't it supposed to ignore this?
> Even more unfortunate: the commandline cvs complains about missing
> CVS directories in build/ and subdirectories too on commit, which
> means it somehow descends there. According to the cvs info page this
> shouldn't happen either.
> Am I doing something wrong?

Jeremias Maerki