Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by "Alex B." <ab...@nflabs.com> on 2015/03/23 04:51:45 UTC

Docker Images for Zeppelin (as release artifacts)

Subj changed, was "Introduction"

AFAIK by apache release policy nothing, except the source code, is
considered to be an 'official release'.

That been said, anything that project finds to be useful to provide to it's
users (without license violations of course) could be done, no special vote
needed, be that 'docker image' or 'convenience binary' - that is up to the
project itself (us).

Using that 'Organization'  on docker hub shoudl be fine too, as it looks
like it follows naming conventions for other projects
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/stratos-dev/201412.mbox/%3CCAGhM-MY6=oTh370Q_5M4VOei41F51Txyew7=TUnKusHU7cR1WA@mail.gmail.com%3E>

Kind regards,
Alexander.

Re: Docker Images for Zeppelin (as release artifacts)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 02:20PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 8:32 PM, moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Thanks Roman for information about ASF-wide docker index.
> >
> > And, about binary release,
> >> AFAIK by apache release policy nothing, except the source code, is
> >> considered to be an 'official release'.
> >
> > I think Apache's release policy has some guide lines for providing binary
> > package.
> > According to http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what, binary package
> > must have the same version number to source release, and unreleased source
> > can not be linked/distributed to the public.

Actually you can linked unreleased source to whoever. What you absolutely CAN
NOT do is to call it a "release" until IPMC has voted on it. If you need to
provide a link to a particular git-tree and call it 'latest stable dev
version' - just do it.

> With binaries the line gets blurry. With things like Docker even more so.
> Keeping those types of guidelines in mind is always useful, but you also
> have to be able to provide software to your users.
>
> Consider Docker: every Docker image typically has a base OS that
> is licensed under variety of different licenses, but GPL is deffintely
> one of them. All of sudden you have a binary 'release' that is under GPL.
> Not longer ALv2.
>
> > So isn't it reasonable to think binary that came from unreleased source
> > code can not be distributed ?
>
> This depends on what distribution means. Like I said in case of Docker
> there's no clear answer and in fact you guys can help shape the outcome.
> Keep an eye on general@incubator and dev@community. A docker discussion
> is coming there very soon.

On top of what Roman said: The main issue with binaries vs source is
that it is hard to guarantee license compliance in case of a binary assembly.
Hence, ASF release is _always_ a release of source code, which ASF legally
stands behind with all rigorous RAT checking, voting, etc. While ASF projects
can and often do provide convenience binary artifacts they CAN NOT have an
official release status because of the above.

Cos

Re: Docker Images for Zeppelin (as release artifacts)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
Thanks Roman for information about ASF-wide docker index.

And, about binary release,
> AFAIK by apache release policy nothing, except the source code, is
> considered to be an 'official release'.

I think Apache's release policy has some guide lines for providing binary
package.
According to http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what, binary package
must have the same version number to source release, and unreleased source
can not be linked/distributed to the public.
So isn't it reasonable to think binary that came from unreleased source
code can not be distributed ?

Best,
moon

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.