Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2016/09/11 09:56:47 UTC

netstandard version of the .NET Core build

Hi

right now the .NET Core build builds for netstandard1.3. Why 1.3?

Reading
https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/blob/master/Documentation/architecture/net-platform-standard.md
my impression is we could use netstandard 1.0 up to 1.6 and it wouldn't
make any difference for people using the .NET Core platform. It would
only make a difference to people running on a different platform than
.NET Core - i.e. .NET Framework 4.5.2 wouldn't be able to consume
netstandard1.3 but netstandard1.2.

Please help me understand the current choice.

Stefan

RE: netstandard version of the .NET Core build

Posted by Gert Driesen <ge...@telenet.be>.
Stefan,

I think you'd indeed want to target the lowest netstandard version possible
without having to sacrifice features.
We could always have both 1.3 and 1.6 versions, but I don't even know if 1.6
contains those missing ADO.NET features (does anyone ? :p).
I get the impression that each day brings a new netstandard version (1.7 and
2.0 are already in the works, if I'm not mistaken).

For SSH.NET, I decided to stop using "target framework" compilation symbols
(like NET_45) and instead opted for API feature toggles (like
FEATURE_SOCKET_POLL).
Perhaps also something to consider for log4net.

Regards,
Gert

PS. Sorry for the reply format (Outlook ...).

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.