Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ralph Einfeldt <ra...@uptime-isc.de> on 2002/07/19 08:11:52 UTC

AW: Is Tomcat affected by the Apache HTTP Server "chunked" encodingv ulnerability?

I think that is not completely right.

- As the VM is written in C or C++ and uses some native libraries
  it always possible that there is a buffer overflow error in that
  part.

  It's just not possible to create new buffer overflow errors wihout
  using native code, but code you write might induce a overflow error
  in the undelying vm.

- The apache problem report contains two possible problems:
  - Excution of arbitrary commands
    With java it's much harder to use a overflow error to do
    this, as you have hardly control about the memory. (I'm not
    shure enough to say that is impossible to exploit it)
  - Denial of service
    This can always happen in one or the other way. (Find a bug in
    tomcat that produces stacktraces or part of tomcat that exposes
    a vm error (sometimes it's quite easy to crash vm's), hammer the
    site with requests that produce this error.)