Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Steve Hay <St...@verosoftware.com> on 2013/03/18 10:23:15 UTC

Minimum version of perl supported?

The README file currently lists three different minimum perl versions
supported by mod_perl, depending on how mod_perl is to be built:

* 5.6.1 for dynamic mod_perl with prefork mpm, or static mod_perl with
prefork mpm and ithreads support
* 5.8.0 for dynamic or static mod_perl with non-prefork mpm and ithreads
support
* 5.8.2 for static mod_perl with prefork mpm and without ithreads
support

I only build mod_perl on Windows and never build it static, but using a
default perl configuration (which is with ithreads on Windows) I find
that mod_perl (from svn) currently doesn't build with 5.8.0:

mod_perl.lo : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__PL_op_mutex referenced in function _modperl_sys_term
mod_perl.lo : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__PL_thr_key referenced in function _modperl_sys_term
mod_perl.lo : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__PL_curinterp referenced in function _modperl_sys_term

It builds and tests ok (bar one or two test failures) with 5.8.1 and
5.8.2, though.

I haven't looked much into trying to fix it, but should I bother at all?
Is it wiser to simply increase the minimum version of perl supported?
Some folks are doubtless still using 5.8.x, but I doubt that there is
any demand for 5.8.0. And is anyone seriously still using 5.6.x? Even if
they are, do we need to say that we "support" it?!

Perhaps it would be sensible to increase the minimum supported version
to 5.8.2 for whatever flavour is being built?

Re: Minimum version of perl supported?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
+1.

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.