Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org> on 2003/08/05 17:58:25 UTC

Invitation to participate in Apache J2EE efforts

As you may have heard by now, the Apache Software Foundation has initiated a
project to develop an open source, Apache-licensed implementation of the
J2EE specification. In addition, the project is committed to certifying the
implementation as J2EE compliant. This is an ambitious goal and will present
a formidable challenge for the people involved, given the wide range of
technologies covered by the specification.

The project (tentatively named "Apache Geronimo") builds upon the many Java
projects at the Apache Software Foundation. In addition, the project is
bringing together leading members of the Castor, JBoss, MX4J and OpenEJB
communities. We would like to extend an open invitation to everyone involved
in the J2EE space, both commercial entities and talented individuals, to
join the community and build a world-class J2EE implementation.

The Apache Software Foundation is in a unique position to build a J2EE
compliant platform. Our non-profit, charity status, and our relationship
with Sun Microsystems, provides the Foundation with access to the J2EE TCKs,
making it possible to achieve certification. In addition, our flexible and
unrestrictive licensing makes it possible for a wide variety of participants
to assist in the development of Apache Geronimo, and to build their own
solutions upon the platform.

Apache Geronimo has been launched within the Apache Incubator. You can find
more information about the Incubator at http://incubator.apache.org/. To
find out more about this project or if you would like to become involved,
please send email to the incubator mailing list: general@incubator.apache.org

    On behalf of the Apache Geronimo Team,

    Greg Stein,
    Chairman of the Apache Software Foundation

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/

Re: Invitation to participate in Apache J2EE efforts

Posted by Sergey Litsenko <li...@hotmail.com>.
Hi, Greg!

Thank you for invitation.
I'd love to participate in "Apache Geronimo" project.

Regards,
Sergey Litsenko
/senior software engineer/

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
By the way, why didn't you post this news to annoucements@jakarta?

There are many people who subscribe to announcements@jakarta
and not to announce@apache ... I think it would be nessesary
in order to make this news effectual to J2EE-minded folks
to announce this news at announcements@jakarta, too.

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:58:25 -0700
Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> As you may have heard by now, the Apache Software Foundation has initiated a
> project to develop an open source, Apache-licensed implementation of the
> J2EE specification. In addition, the project is committed to certifying the
> implementation as J2EE compliant. This is an ambitious goal and will present
> a formidable challenge for the people involved, given the wide range of
> technologies covered by the specification.

<snip/>

Re: Invitation to participate in Apache J2EE efforts

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Anyway, I put this news to jakarta-site.

http://jakarta.apache.org/
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/elsewhere.html#20030805.1

It will be shown up in a few hours.
(I put the mail address for subscription to this news, too)

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:58:25 -0700
Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> As you may have heard by now, the Apache Software Foundation has initiated a
> project to develop an open source, Apache-licensed implementation of the
> J2EE specification. In addition, the project is committed to certifying the
> implementation as J2EE compliant. This is an ambitious goal and will present
> a formidable challenge for the people involved, given the wide range of
> technologies covered by the specification.
>
> The project (tentatively named "Apache Geronimo") builds upon the many Java
> projects at the Apache Software Foundation. In addition, the project is
> bringing together leading members of the Castor, JBoss, MX4J and OpenEJB
> communities. We would like to extend an open invitation to everyone involved
> in the J2EE space, both commercial entities and talented individuals, to
> join the community and build a world-class J2EE implementation.
>
> The Apache Software Foundation is in a unique position to build a J2EE
> compliant platform. Our non-profit, charity status, and our relationship
> with Sun Microsystems, provides the Foundation with access to the J2EE TCKs,
> making it possible to achieve certification. In addition, our flexible and
> unrestrictive licensing makes it possible for a wide variety of participants
> to assist in the development of Apache Geronimo, and to build their own
> solutions upon the platform.
>
> Apache Geronimo has been launched within the Apache Incubator. You can find
> more information about the Incubator at http://incubator.apache.org/. To
> find out more about this project or if you would like to become involved,
> please send email to the incubator mailing list: general@incubator.apache.org
>

>     On behalf of the Apache Geronimo Team,
>
>     Greg Stein,
>     Chairman of the Apache Software Foundation
>
> --
> gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Re: Invitation to participate in Apache J2EE efforts

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 01:09 PM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>> Apache Geronimo has been launched within the Apache Incubator.
>
> Interesting. I have not seen a single mail on
> general@incubator.apache.org
> mentioning such a project before. The exception is a mail containing a
> proposal sent by Geir Magnusson Jr. which arrived 9 minutes earlier.

That would be it :)

> Andreas

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)

Re: Invitation to participate in Apache J2EE efforts

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Interesting. I have not seen a single mail on general@incubator.apache.org

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:21:12PM +0200, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> > At the ASF Board meeting on July 16, the Board effectively directed the
> > Incubator to accept a proposal to start a J2EE project.
>
> Are the minutes available somewhere?

Not yet. The next Board meeting is August 20th, where we'll (hopefully)
review the minutes and approve them. At that point, they can be posted to
the web site (see http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Invitation to participate in Apache J2EE efforts

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:53:13PM -0400, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:
> In message <20...@lyra.org>, Greg Stein writes:
> >As you may have heard by now, the Apache Software Foundation has initiated a
> >project to develop an open source, Apache-licensed implementation of the
>
> I'm a bit confused because a proposal was announced today, but the project
> has not yet been accepted into the incubator.  Shouldn't that happen first
> before sending out a call for participation?

At the ASF Board meeting on July 16, the Board effectively directed the
Incubator to accept a proposal to start a J2EE project. The past several
weeks has been spent pulling that together, along with the initial list of
committers, and whatnot.

To some extent, the Incubator doesn't have a choice :-)  They could say "we
don't have the people", but as with all Incubator projects, the "shepherds"
and other do-ers are expected to come along with the proposal.

> >find out more about this project or if you would like to become involved,
> >please send email to the incubator mailing list: general@incubator.apache.org
>
> You can count me in.

Excellent! Discussion will be here on general@incubator until the project
gets its own mailing lists [for technical discussion]. As with any Apache
project, participation is easy and welcome!

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Kishorchand Rawat <ki...@bangalore.sema.slb.com>.
Hello,

I am very much interested to be part of this ambitious project. I am a
Senior Software Engineer with around 5 years of
hard core Java experience.

Regards
Kishorchand Rawat

At 08:58 AM 05-08-03 -0700, you wrote:
>As you may have heard by now, the Apache Software Foundation has initiated a
>project to develop an open source, Apache-licensed implementation of the
>J2EE specification. In addition, the project is committed to certifying the
>implementation as J2EE compliant. This is an ambitious goal and will present
>a formidable challenge for the people involved, given the wide range of
>technologies covered by the specification.
>
>The project (tentatively named "Apache Geronimo") builds upon the many Java
>projects at the Apache Software Foundation. In addition, the project is
>bringing together leading members of the Castor, JBoss, MX4J and OpenEJB
>communities. We would like to extend an open invitation to everyone involved
>in the J2EE space, both commercial entities and talented individuals, to
>join the community and build a world-class J2EE implementation.
>
>The Apache Software Foundation is in a unique position to build a J2EE
>compliant platform. Our non-profit, charity status, and our relationship
>with Sun Microsystems, provides the Foundation with access to the J2EE TCKs,
>making it possible to achieve certification. In addition, our flexible and
>unrestrictive licensing makes it possible for a wide variety of participants
>to assist in the development of Apache Geronimo, and to build their own
>solutions upon the platform.
>
>Apache Geronimo has been launched within the Apache Incubator. You can find
>more information about the Incubator at http://incubator.apache.org/. To
>find out more about this project or if you would like to become involved,
>please send email to the incubator mailing list: general@incubator.apache.org
>

>     On behalf of the Apache Geronimo Team,
>
>     Greg Stein,
>     Chairman of the Apache Software Foundation
>
>--
>gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/

Kishorchand Rawat
Senior Engineer - MCS