Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Manoj VM <ma...@fynarfin.io> on 2022/04/19 10:37:58 UTC

Re: Fineract 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 upgrade

Hi Aleksandar Vidakovic,

Is there any update that happened to the 1.6 release?

We are getting *"SchemaUpgradeNeededException: Make sure to upgrade to
Fineract 1.6 first and then to a newer version"* error while upgrading to *tag
1.6*

ref:
https://github.com/apache/fineract/blob/1.6.0/fineract-provider/src/main/java/org/apache/fineract/infrastructure/core/service/migration/TenantDatabaseUpgradeService.java

Thanks and Regards,
Manoj
fynarfin.io

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 10:52 AM Kelvin Ikome <ke...@ciniter.com> wrote:

> Okay,
>
> Thanks, Aleks, Arnold.
>
> We have begun the work for 1.6 tag
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 10:55 AM Aleksandar Vidakovic <
> cheetah@monkeysintown.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kelvin,
>>
>> ... you can't do that anymore (pulling from develop immediately)... you
>> have to first upgrade your instance (aka database schema with Fineract
>> 1.6.0... the release that is... exactly that version)... and only after
>> that you can do the upgrade with the current develop branch (we try to keep
>> this as error free as possible, but develop is considered unstable until we
>> release).
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Aleks
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 10:15 AM Kelvin Ikome <ke...@ciniter.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Arnold,
>>>
>>> We pulled in from the develop branch

>>> m:

--
Disclaimer:

Privileged & confidential information is contained in this
message (including all attachments). If you are not an intended recipient
of this message, please destroy this message immediately and kindly notify
the sender by reply e-mail. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this
message in any manner whatsoever, in whole or in part, is strictly
prohibited. This e-mail, including all attachments hereto, (i) is for
discussion purposes only and shall not be deemed or construed to be a
professional opinion unless expressly stated otherwise, and (ii) is not
intended, written or sent to be used, and cannot and shall not be used, for
any unlawful purpose. This communication, including any attachments, may
not be free of viruses, interceptions or interference, and may not be
compatible with your systems. You should carry out your own virus checks
before opening any attachment to this e-mail. The sender of this e-mail and

*Fynarfin Tech Private Limited* shall not be liable for any damage that
you may sustain as a result of viruses, incompleteness of this message, a
delay in receipt of this message or computer problems experienced.

Re: Fineract 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 upgrade

Posted by Aleksandar Vidakovic <ch...@monkeysintown.com>.
Hi everyone,

... did some investigation on this...

The timeline - I just checked - makes sense... we did finalize the release
around Feb 24, so these final commits all happened long after we where
already on the release branch:

[image: image.png]

This excludes a situation like accidentally approving a pull request and
somehow getting it in the release. Just to make this clear: we had 2
distinct branches ("develop", "1.6.0") at the moment that FINERACT-1498 was
approved.

But as you can see the commit in question (FINERACT-1498) is there (read:
included in the 1.6.0 tag); so, something happened here. I am pretty sure I
didn't accidentally cherry picked it, we had extensive communication about
that and the strategy of the future upgrades (yes: 1.6 -> 1.7, no: 1.5 ->
1.7, yes: 1.5 -> 1.6 -> 1.7)

Unfortunately - as per release instructions - we can't see the release
branch anymore, because it's deleted.... obviously the events/commits
appear now all in sequence (at the end of the release the release branches
are merged back to develop before they are deleted)...

I've also checked Jira again... FINERACT-1498 has no "fixVersions" entry,
which means: it's not included in the release changelog (it should have
1.7.0 though, fixing later). Which makes it again unlikely that we had it
accidentally on the radar for the release.

BUT....

Did you guys check the actual release artifacts? Because they tell a
different story!

My first check: there was an additional Gradle plugin dependency that
Arnold sneaked into the FINERACT-1498 that I remembered; see lines 48/49...
that dependency is not there in this screenshot (taken from the sources in
the downloadable release artifacts):

[image: image.png]

If we had a botched release then we should see an entry like in this
screenshot (taken from the commit diff in Github):
[image: image.png]

In the same file (the build.gradle file in the project root folder) we
should see references to Liquibase if we had a botched release; nope, still
Flyway there.

And final test: the "TenantDatabaseUpgradeService". For Liquibase that
thing got extensive treatment by Arnold. See in the screenshot below the
import statements... no trace of Liquibase, only Flyway:

[image: image.png]

Safe to say that the downloadable release artifacts are clear. They are
still based on Flyway and not on Liquibase.

What's wrong here is the Git tag apparently and this is probably related to
the issue with "lightweight vs annotated tags"... when I finalized the
release I realized that I missed a parameter when creating the release tag
and then I "corrected" that error (at least I thought).

As for how to fix the tag: I have to look at this for a moment or two...
but a tag is not like a branch etc. ... the options are very limited. What
we could do (from the top of my head)... recreate the release branch and
tag again. This is the list of commits and the versions (aka tags) they
should belong to:

[v1.6] - FINERACT-1509: Gradle wrapper missing in source distribution
[v1.6] - FINERACT-1490: SSL configuration based on application.properties
[v1.7] - FINERACT-984:  Test improvements to not rely on database storage
order...
[v1.7] - FINERACT-1503: FixStaffModule
[v1.7] - FINERACT-1498: Switching from Flyway to Liqubase migrations
[v1.7] - FINERACT-1502: To support Webhooks with all paths instead of only
abso...
[v1.6] - FINERACT-1506: Add WAR artifact to release distribution again

I will create a "release" branch for tag 1.6 again based on commit
FINERACT-1506 (I use the ticket numbers for convenience and simplicity).
Why this one you ask? Because every commit that went in before was related
to version 1.6. As you can see the issue here is that we have an
"interrupted" sequence; we want FINERACT-1506, 1490, 1509, but NOT
FINERACT-984, 1503, 1498, 1502. I have checked Jira; the entries above that
I marked for version 1.7 have in Jira either "fixVersions" associated with
1.7 or they don't have any (which means they were not included in the 1.6
changelog and therefore will be included in 1.7).

Once I have that release branch based on FINERACT-1506 then I can cherry
pick 1509 and 1490; create the - annotated - tag and we are basically done.
That should display things for the tag in the right order again.

Alright... that was a bit lengthy... in short: downloadable release
artifacts good, Git tag bad.

I'll ping you here if the idea above works.

Aleks

Posted by Kelvin Ikome <kv...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Manoj VM <ma...@fynarfin.io>.

Posted by Arnold Galovics <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Manoj

Posted by Manoj VM <ma...@fynarfin.io>.

Posted by Aleksandar Vidakovic <ch...@monkeysintown.com>.

Posted by Aleksandar Vidakovic <ch...@monkeysintown.com>.

Posted by Arnold Galovics <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It's strange because the 1.6 version shouldn't include Liquibase. We only
wanted to release it after 1.6.

@Aleks, did we mix it up somehow?

Best,
Arnold

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 4:59 PM Aleksandar Vidakovic <
cheetah@monkeysintown.com> wrote:

> @Arnold could you chime in here and help Manoj?
>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 12:38 PM Manoj VM <ma...@fynarfin.io> wrote:
>
>> Hi Aleksandar Vidakovic,
>>
>> Is there any update that happened to the 1.6 release?
>>
>> We are getting *"SchemaUpgradeNeededException: Make sure to upgrade to
>> Fineract 1.6 first and then to a newer version"* error while upgrading
>> to *tag 1.6*
>>
>> ref:
>> https://github.com/apache/fineract/blob/1.6.0/fineract-provider/src/main/java/org/apache/fineract/infrastructure/core/service/migration/TenantDatabaseUpgradeService.java
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,