Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 1999/01/31 20:19:40 UTC

XML within Apache (was Re: [Fwd: [dav-announce] Release: mod_dav 0.9.6-1.3.4])

Daniel Veillard wrote:

> > [snip]
> > Maybe Daniel Veillard's libxml (gnome-xml) would do. It is licensed
> > under LGPL and W3C's license (whatever it is called, seems to be
> > BSDish).

It appears to only be licensed under the W3C "IPR" license. The IPR is
much better than LPGL (for Apache's sake).

> > gnome-xml is in GNOME CVS and libxml CVS snapshots are available at
> > ftp://rufus.w3.org/pub/XML
> >
> > Currently used in several GNOME applications.
>
>   Note that I don't claim it have the robustness of expat nor the
> wide recognition of the author :-)
>
> But it should be able to parse DAV without problem, I originally wrote
> it *precisely* to check the DAV example in version 5 or 6 of the draft.

hehe. cool.

It would be preferable to have a SAX interface from the parser, because
mod_dav uses its own tree structure. Without that, some serious munging
would need to occur to get mod_dav to work with gnome-xml.

On the other hand, other modules may prefer to receive a DOM-like
structure from the parser (it can certainly simplify a lot of things).
Those modules could use gnome-dom on top of gnome-xml?

btw, I saw a reference to gnome-xml in the current Linux Journal issue,
in the article about GNOME. Kind of funny because it was just last night
that I read it, and I had intended to look up gnome-xml for just this
reason (as a potential expat alternative).

Cheers,
-g

p.s. I stripped Expat down to 19 files and no subdirectories, which
builds libexpat.a. Now to incorporate the thing into the Apache build
process...

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: XML within Apache

Posted by Daniel Veillard <Da...@w3.org>.
> > > Maybe Daniel Veillard's libxml (gnome-xml) would do. It is licensed
> > > under LGPL and W3C's license (whatever it is called, seems to be
> > > BSDish).
>
> It appears to only be licensed under the W3C "IPR" license. The IPR is
> much better than LPGL (for Apache's sake).

  Actually it's released under both licences.

> > But it should be able to parse DAV without problem, I originally wrote
> > it *precisely* to check the DAV example in version 5 or 6 of the draft.
>
> hehe. cool.
>
> It would be preferable to have a SAX interface from the parser, because
> mod_dav uses its own tree structure. Without that, some serious munging
> would need to occur to get mod_dav to work with gnome-xml.

  There is some kind of SAX interface, but it's not very well tested nor
debugged. Moreover it's probably not complete. Send me the interfaces
you're using I will see what I can do.

> On the other hand, other modules may prefer to receive a DOM-like
> structure from the parser (it can certainly simplify a lot of things).
> Those modules could use gnome-dom on top of gnome-xml?

  Gnome-dom is just a DOM compliant set of interfaces on top of gnome-xml.
The tree produced by the parser is really close to a DOM view.

> btw, I saw a reference to gnome-xml in the current Linux Journal issue,
> in the article about GNOME. Kind of funny because it was just last night
> that I read it, and I had intended to look up gnome-xml for just this
> reason (as a potential expat alternative).

   Oh, yes Miguel wrote an article. Funny :-)

  I suggest you subscribe to xml@rufus.w3.org (majordomo) so we can move
this out of Apache list, most listeners probably don't care much about
those issues.

Daniel

--
	    [Yes, I have moved back to France !]