Posted to user@geode.apache.org by Real Wes <Th...@outlook.com> on 2016/08/09 21:26:56 UTC

# Cores per node guidelines

Do guidelines exist for # cores per 64 GB JVM given an equal ratio of reads/ writes with very heavy use?   I’m not looking for a precise calculation but a finger-in-the-wind recommendation.

No Async Event Queue and no WAN Gateway.

On page 339 of the GemFire 8.2.1 User’s Guide we have:

A 64-bit Sun Java VM 1.6 JVM, with 8 Gb of heap space on an 4 CPU system running Linux.

Thanks,
Wes Williams

Re: # Cores per node guidelines

Posted by vf...@pivotal.io.
As a general rule, memory and cores isn't that critical as most cases 4 cores is plenty to handle gc duties regardless of memory size. The question should be " how many active threads will there be and what kinds of load will be expected on the host?" and then plan for the load requirements. So for a lightly loaded application 4 CPU's might be enough but 8-16 should be considered as the load goes up ( as well as jdk threads). For good resposiveness monitor CPU and if you see patterns with cpu over 80% then you need more cores.

Vince Ford
Sent from mobile

Posted by Real Wes <Th...@outlook.com>.