Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/06/13 09:45:03 UTC

some votes, thoughts

-1 on holding off new feature commits any longer than a week or so, I'm
really tired of being in feature freeze.  I've been holding off on work
that I really want to do.  I don't care what the tree is named or what
release I'm working towards, but I want to feel like it's safe for me to
start developing code again.  I've got performance patches in various
states of completion...

+1 on the creation of a mailing list for gui details... because I think
that it's really something that can be done independantly.  Given that 1.2
is going to be "out there a long time" it makes more sense for a 1.2 gui
to appear first.  That allows people to experiment and figure out what the
2.0 api and conf language would need to make gui life better.

+1 on someone posting the NT patch so that we can see just how "ugly" it
is.  I'm pretty sure I'll +1 including it so that we can start fixing the
"ugliness".  +0 on an NT development mailing list.

Someone should compare sfio and bstdio, it would be nice to avoid rolling
our own layered i/o system.  We seem to agree on the need for layered i/o.

Regarding huge API rewrites, I'd like to see examples of problems that we
can't solve easily by using Alexei's proposed phases plus the extra
parsing phase I posted about yesterday (arbitrary header matching causing
per_dir merging, occuring before <Directory> probably).  To be fair, we
should probably come up with reasons for each of the phases anyhow.

+0 on Orlando, or Vegas (they're both too hot).
+1 on a road trip should Vegas be the destination.
+1 on beer.  Can we find good beer in Vegas or Orlando?

+1 on world dominance.

Dean

Re: some votes, thoughts

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> -1 on holding off new feature commits any longer than a week or so, I'm
> really tired of being in feature freeze.  I've been holding off on work
> that I really want to do.  I don't care what the tree is named or what
> release I'm working towards, but I want to feel like it's safe for me to
> start developing code again.  I've got performance patches in various
> states of completion...

I agree.  I think 1.3 should include a modest number of these types of
fixes.

> +1 on the creation of a mailing list for gui details... because I think
> that it's really something that can be done independantly.  Given that 1.2
> is going to be "out there a long time" it makes more sense for a 1.2 gui
> to appear first.  That allows people to experiment and figure out what the
> 2.0 api and conf language would need to make gui life better.

Also agree.

> +1 on someone posting the NT patch so that we can see just how "ugly" it
> is.  I'm pretty sure I'll +1 including it so that we can start fixing the
> "ugliness".  +0 on an NT development mailing list.

Definitely agree!

> Someone should compare sfio and bstdio, it would be nice to avoid rolling
> our own layered i/o system.  We seem to agree on the need for layered i/o.

Agree as well.  Could someone dig up RST's comments on the matter from
the archive and repost/summarize them?

> Regarding huge API rewrites, I'd like to see examples of problems that we
> can't solve easily by using Alexei's proposed phases plus the extra
> parsing phase I posted about yesterday (arbitrary header matching causing
> per_dir merging, occuring before <Directory> probably).  To be fair, we
> should probably come up with reasons for each of the phases anyhow.

+1.

> +0 on Orlando, or Vegas (they're both too hot).
> +1 on a road trip should Vegas be the destination.
> +1 on beer.  Can we find good beer in Vegas or Orlando?
>
> +1 on world dominance.

yeeeaaahhhhhhh

	Brian

Re: some votes, thoughts

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> +0 on Orlando, or Vegas (they're both too hot).
> +1 on a road trip should Vegas be the destination.

Vegas I may be able to do... fares are a bit better.