Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/10 01:31:36 UTC

Lucene.NET status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "May2012" by PrescottNasser)

Hi,

Thanks for the report, Lucene.NET!

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> One of the mentors (Stefan Bodewig) has indicated he wants to start pushing
> for graduation. UPDATE: Unfortunately, we have not made any progress on this
> - hopefully we can have a more conclusive update next check in. Our
> development/committers group is small, and work sometimes happens in
> bursts and then stalls - something we need to work on a bit.

Looking at the svn history I see a long history of sustained
month-after-month commit activity. More activity is of course always
great, but I don't think this is something you need to worry about at
least as a graduation issue.

However, the one thing I am a bit worried about is that I couldn't
tell when was the last time you added a new committer to the team.
Your contribution report [1] shows some people who've contributed lots
of patches but aren't committers yet. What's up with that?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?versionId=-1&issueStatus=all&selectedProjectId=12310290&reportKey=com.sourcelabs.jira.plugin.report.contributions%3Acontributionreport&Next=Next

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Lucene.NET status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "May2012" by PrescottNasser)

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 5/9/2012 6:34 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Jukka:
>
> Thanks my friend.  The way you have been running the IPMC during your
> tenure as chair addresses just about everything I have ever bitched
> about regarding the Incubator.  I really appreciate what you are doing
> and the time it must take to do it, but it does not go unnoticed.

++1, no disrespect to those before you including dedicated mentors and
idea-people but this is measurably more effective.

Re: Lucene.NET status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "May2012" by PrescottNasser)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Jukka:

RE: Lucene.NET status

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
It's a good idea - we're going to discuss this and see what we can do.  I definitely would like to bring in some new committers. I know that the committers we do have are extremely busy with other parts of their lives - it would be great to bring in some new people who can help out. We'll do what we can. ~P

Re: Lucene.NET status

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-05-10, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2012-05-10, Jukka Zitting wrote:

>>> Your contribution report [1] shows some people who've contributed lots
>>> of patches but aren't committers yet. What's up with that?

>> Many of those contributions happened before Lucene.NET re-entered
>> incubation, the people have been let down back then and never came back
>> when Lucene.NET came back to life.

> That's a good reminder of the importance of bringing in new committers
> when you can. Without a constant stream of new people a project will
> eventually lose steam as existing committers lose interest or become
> otherwise occupied for whatever other reason.

Yes, absolutely.  This is something that's not only true for Lucene.Net
or just incubating projects.  I'm pretty sure some of our existing
projects have missed such opportunities as well.

In Lucene.Net's case I'm pretty sure the team will take the right steps,
they've been welcoming contributors warmly so far.

Not having added new people to the roster is the major (if not only)
obstacle to graduation from my POV.

> I've been involved with quite a few podlings with similar problems in
> attracting longer-term contributors. In my experience the best way to
> solve that problem is to change your mindset of expecting most such
> people to be just one-off contributors. If you instead treat them as
> your next new committers and engage with them as peers, many (though
> of course not all) will respond in kind and actually become more
> involved.

> Many developers, especially from commercial backgrounds, tend to treat
> such contributors as just users reporting a problem. A typical
> interaction goes like "What's the problem? Do you have a test case?
> OK, let me fix it (when I get around to it)." A better approach is
> something like "What's the problem? OK, here are some pointers to the
> relevant bits in code. How do you think this should be fixed?"

This is a really good advice and one that I (even after 10+ years around
here) should follow more often.  Thank you for stating it so clearly.

Stefan

Re: Lucene.NET status

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2012-05-10, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> However, the one thing I am a bit worried about is that I couldn't
>> tell when was the last time you added a new committer to the team.
>
> Never.

OK.

Re: Lucene.NET status

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
First of all, many thanks, Jukka.

On 2012-05-10, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
>> One of the mentors (Stefan Bodewig) has indicated he wants to start pushing
>> for graduation. UPDATE: Unfortunately, we have not made any progress on this
>> - hopefully we can have a more conclusive update next check in. Our
>> development/committers group is small, and work sometimes happens in
>> bursts and then stalls - something we need to work on a bit.

> Looking at the svn history I see a long history of sustained
> month-after-month commit activity. More activity is of course always
> great, but I don't think this is something you need to worry about at
> least as a graduation issue.

Agreed.

> However, the one thing I am a bit worried about is that I couldn't
> tell when was the last time you added a new committer to the team.

Never.

> Your contribution report [1] shows some people who've contributed lots
> of patches but aren't committers yet. What's up with that?

> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?versionId=-1&issueStatus=all&selectedProjectId=12310290&reportKey=com.sourcelabs.jira.plugin.report.contributions%3Acontributionreport&Next=Next

Many of those contributions happened before Lucene.NET re-entered
incubation, the people have been let down back then and never came back
when Lucene.NET came back to life.  Is there a way to get a contribution