Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/01/05 17:03:10 UTC

Release 2.0-beta-1 of Tomcat Maven Plugin

Hello,
I'd like to release a first version of Tomcat Maven Plugin.
As it's the first version here and some features have been added, this
version will be called 2.0-beta-1.

I will do that early next week.

Let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks
--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Release 2.0-beta-1 of Tomcat Maven Plugin

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,

2012/1/10 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/5 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
>> Hello,
>> I'd like to release a first version of Tomcat Maven Plugin.
>> As it's the first version here and some features have been added, this
>> version will be called 2.0-beta-1.
>>
>> I will do that early next week.
>>
>> Let me know if you have any comments.
>>

> 1. IIRC you had plans to reintroduce common "tomcat" plugin.
>
> Are you going to go with separate "tomcat6" and "tomcat7" for now?
For goals which run embeded tomcat, I don't really have choice as api
has changed between 6 and 7.
Maybe for "common" goals (deploy war, list applications etc..) has the
only change is the manager url.
Can be done in next release IMHO, I have documented the fact that some
goals exists only in tomcat6 plugin and users need only to change
manager url in their configuration.

> 2. Reviewing some of your commits I noted that one of classes there uses
> System.exit() calls. [1]
> Is that OK? IMHO throwing some exception or an Error is a lot better
> that using that call.
Agree I will change that.

> Some time ago Tomcat was also using System.exit() during shutdown, but
> when it was noted that it caused problems with Commons Daemon and it
> was changed to never call that method.
>
> For a joke, someone mentioned [2] recently.
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/maven-plugin/trunk/tomcat7-war-runner/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/maven/runner/Tomcat7Runner.java?view=markup
>
> [2] http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Serious-Failure.aspx
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Last thing I want to do: add an archetype to have a sample project
generated on how to use/configure the plugin to use it with a very
simple webapp.
And finish to cleanup documentation. (do not hesitate to fix
"frenglish" typo if you see some :-) ).

Thanks!

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.