Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Long <ml...@bizjournals.com> on 2011/11/21 20:05:04 UTC

help with optimizing

We're trying to limit disk space when we optimize since we often hit out
of disk space errors. We plan to add more disks but in the meantime I am
pursing a software solution... in the past we have done multiple passes
by looking at the number of segments and then optimizing down like 16,
8, 4, 2, and 1. We dynamically change the maxSegments through the update
handler as we do this.

With the 3.3 release using tiered merging, I am wondering if we could be
better off doing one pass and using maxMergeAtOnce and segmentsPerTier
in solrconfig.xml? Unfortunately I cannot find much documentation on this.

Our current settings in solrconfig.xml are:
useCompoundFile false
mergeFactor 10