Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2022/12/07 05:09:22 UTC

Arrow sync call December 7 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 17:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly sync call is today at 12:00 noon Eastern time.

The Zoom meeting URL for this and other biweekly Arrow sync calls is:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09

Alternatively, enter this information into the Zoom website or app to
join the call:
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow sync call December 7 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 17:00 UTC

Posted by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com>.
Attendees

- Ian Cook
- Raúl Cumplido
- Dewey Dunnington
- Ian Joiner
- Will Jones
- David Li
- Rok Mihevc
- Antoine Pitrou
- Matt Topol
- Joris Van den Bossche

Discussion

Maintenance policy

There is a discussion [1] on the mailing list about whether we should
define a maintenance policy.
- The central question is whether we should commit to doing patch
releases for older major versions of the Arrow implementations in the
monorepo to fix security vulnerabilities and perhaps other critical
issues such as bugs that silently produce incorrect data.
- The need this would address is that some Arrow implementation users
do not want to update to each new major version quarterly (which
carries the chance of breaking changes each time) and also do not want
to accept the risk that a security vulnerability or other critical
issue could at any time force them to do an unplanned major version
update.
- There are several interrelated factors that complicate this:
  - We do not have a rigorous process in place for designating changes
as breaking or non-breaking.
  - We nominally follow Semantic Versioning [2] (MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH)
but in practice we simply assume for convenience that each regular
quarterly release contains breaking changes, so we simply increment
the major version in each regular quarterly release. In practice we
never do minor releases . Beginning to do minor releases and reducing
the frequency of major releases could be an alternative or
complementary way of addressing the same need.
  - In practice we depend on the major version updates to enforce
interoperability between some of the  implementations in the monorepo,
and it is unclear how we will ensure this synchronization if we start
doing minor versions.
- Further discussion is required

ADBC 0.1 Release

- David has been implementing a release process for ADBC with help
from Jacob and Kou [3]
- David intends to ship this release before end of year
- We plan for PyArrow 11.0.0 to include Flight SQL support

Migrating issue reporting from Jira to GitHub

- There is a mailing list thread about the current state [4]
- Joris started a discussion there about whether we should track
website-related issues in the GitHub issues of arrow-site repo
- There is a way to provide non-committers with permission to triage
issues (assign, edit, close) as documented at [5] but this is limited
to 20 user accounts
- The release scripts still need to be updated. We plan to update them
in time for the 11.0.0 release. If there is a 10.0.2 patch release, we
might decide as a one-time measure to create a Jira issue representing
each GitHub issue that is resolved in the patch release so that we can
use the existing release script.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/7mgwr02h1f7zvghym1kljyb32s50vx1o
[2] https://semver.org
[3] https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/pull/174