Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2002/08/23 10:23:52 UTC

[commons] StringUtils has a public constructor

As my change to StringUtils constructor appears to have been implicitly -1
VETOed by lazy consensus, I have reverted the change back to a public
constructor with disapproving comments. Interested parties please check it
out.

I could apologise at this point, but I feel that I have acted properly.
Since the first objection email on the topic I have sought compromises that
I believe met the requirements of the users whilst protecting commons.

For me one question in the debate always went unanswered. How would a bean
based tool like Velocity handle java.lang.Math and java.util.Collections?

As I pointed out in the Necomers thread, this debate is in part about what
commons can and cannot do. As such, I believe it is very valuable to the
future of commons.

Stephen