Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by marc orlando <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/10 23:23:07 UTC

help

Dear dev, I need to ask a technical question that I need answered in simple language. A step format is welcome. I am moving to UBUNTU. The issue is that OPEN OFFICE is NOT in the software manager screen. I was told it was deliberitly removed for technical reasons. In WINDOWS when I download/install I use the .EXE process. Which I like. If I use UBUNTU to open your web site, when I now download/install will the program show me the equivalent .DEB files? Is the process similar to the EXE format? I do not want to use command line if I can aviod it. Too foreign and hard for me to understand. Do all web site programs show the >DEB files as long as I use UBUNTU to open them? Please provide complete details in a step,format in simple language. Please tell me if the OO process also applies to any program opened in UBUNTU. I have researched this but all the explanations are in computer speak. I need it in simple ENGLISH.

Sincerely yours,
marc orlando
marco9740@gmail.com
April 10, 2013

Re: help

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:16:55 +0100
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:23:07 -0700 (PDT)
> "marc orlando" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear dev, I need to ask a technical question that I need answered in simple language. A step format is welcome. I am moving to UBUNTU. The issue is that OPEN OFFICE is NOT in the software manager screen. I was told it was deliberitly removed for technical reasons. In WINDOWS when I download/install I use the .EXE process. Which I like. If I use UBUNTU to open your web site, when I now download/install will the program show me the equivalent .DEB files? Is the process similar to the EXE format? I do not want to use command line if I can aviod it. Too foreign and hard for me to understand. Do all web site programs show the >DEB files as long as I use UBUNTU to open them? Please provide complete details in a step,format in simple language. Please tell me if the OO process also applies to any program opened in UBUNTU. I have researched this but all the explanations are in computer speak. I need it in simple ENGLISH.
> >

> At present there is no easy way out of using the command line.  How to install OpenOffice is clearly set out in
> this tutorial.  Note that, if  you are using Ubuntu, you should remove all traces of LibreOffice before installing OpenOffice.  The removal is best done (in my experience) using Synaptic; tell it to find libreoffice-core, and remmove that and associated programs.

When posting my previous reply I omitted  the URL for the tutorial - sorry!  The tutorial is at
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=68

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: help