Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2002/11/19 05:31:56 UTC

more validation suckage..

now wth is *this* about?

/home/coar/apache-incubator-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/drafts/glossary.xml:29:63: The content of element type "strong" must match "(code)".
/home/coar/apache-incubator-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/drafts/glossary.xml:34:51: The content of element type "strong" must match "(code)".

and similar weird messages.

the first line in question is:

so what's wrong with that?

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Miles Elam <mi...@geekspeak.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > But his need is still there and it's not only his IIUC. <i><b>
> > </b></i> is a common construct, and till I don't understand if any
> > why there is a need for a third empasis I don't know if we should
> > create a <strongem> </strongem> tag or not...

I agree that bold and italic (<b> and <i>) bleed into layout way too
much, but what about nesting <em> tags?  DocBook and variants have an
<emphasis /> tag which allows other <emphasis /> tags as children so
there is precedent in widely available semantic markup.

Personally I think the practice is odious in general simply because it
encourages literary laziness in many cases: using bold and italics
instead of using appropriately forceful phrasing.  However people are
people and really like their bold and italicized text.  The "right"
thing is rarely the popular thing.

Why not leave it to the stylesheets?

XSLT:
  Prevent nesting: <xsl:template
match="em|b|i|u//em|b|i|u"><xsl:apply-templates /><xsl:template>
  Convert the tags: <xsl:template match="b|i|u"><em><xsl:apply-templates
/></em><xsl:template>
  Remove the tags: <xsl:template match="em|b|i|u"><xsl:apply-templates
/><xsl:template>

These can be enabled/disabled easily with <xsl:import /> or <xsl:include
/> to a separate file.

CSS:
  em {
    font-style: italic;
  }
  em em {
    font-weight: bold;
  }
  em em em {
    text-decoration: underline;
  }

Enabled/disabled by @import urls.  A documentation administrator could
simply remove the styling from any layout markup, make it uniform across
all pages, or let it stand as is.

Then it's up to the documentation manager whether they want to encourage
the behavior by using skins that accentuate the markup or discourage it
by downplaying the markup rendering.

Choices given, but I would be in favor of ommiting them by default.
 Then when people go to find out how to put their bold and italics back
in, they can see a page that describes why it's generally a bad idea
anyway.  And in using the <em> tag, you can enforce some uniformity in
the docs with regard to the visual representation of emphasis.

My $0.02

- Miles

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

 > But his need is still there and it's not only his IIUC. <i><b>
 > </b></i> is a common construct, and till I don't understand if any
 > why there is a need for a third empasis I don't know if we should
 > create a <strongem> </strongem> tag or not...

I would prefer calling it <shout> or <yell>

or using the Dutch way of 'increasing' things:

Kidding aside, I'll try & review things when time allows. There might be
other inline element containment issues which we haven't encountered yet.

 > ...even if I have the feeling that this request was meant to be used
 > for presentation instead of semantics ;-)

Yep - hence my unwillingness.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not necessarily OK with that, since it smells pretty much like
>>> trying to bypass semantical markup practices.
>>

>> i'm not going to waste a lot of time on this.  if you're not going to
>> do it, you're not going to do it.  'emphasis' is (or should be) applied
>> to the current style, not the base style.  if you don't like
>> <strong><em>,
>> you probably don't like <em><strong> either (and i see from the dtd that
>> you don't), and that's certainly even more defensible than the converse.
>>
>> progressive highlighting of portions of citations is a good example of
>> the use of both of these.
>>
>> but whatever.
>

> "Whatever?"
>
> Ken: thank you for your opinion, even if I don't agree with it.
>
> Having different opinions on things are good, it requires me to
> formalize my thinking and defending it. Being a lazy person, I don't
> often formalize, and assume my belly-feeling is sort-a-OK. Now, I
> checked my belly-feeling with my brain and it seems like they feel OK
> with each other. But next time, my belly might have been wrong, and you
> right :-)

But his need is still there and it's not only his IIUC.
any why there is a need for a third empasis I don't know if we should
create a <strongem> </strongem> tag or not...
...even if I have the feeling that this request was meant to be used for
presentation instead of semantics ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu>.

RE: more validation suckage..

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Sure, that is the way the that browsers render it by default. But you could make
'strong emphasis' or 'emphasis' look however you want. Forrest just needs to to
worry about the resulting HTML structure.

I have modified my thinking on the bones/skin issue. I think this is how it is:

XSL = bones
(X)HTML = skeleton
CSS = skin

XML is like the food/drink you take in to produce an end result :)

best,
-Rob

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

RE: more validation suckage..

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi Ken,

strong = strong emphasis
em = emphasis

-Rob

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: more validation suckage..

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi Rodent,

I think you should do something like:

<dt id="ApacheCon">ApacheCon</dt>

then in your CSS:

dt {
font-weight:bold
font-style:italic
}

or if you have other DTs that need to be styled differently:

.whatsHappening dt {
font-weight:bold
font-style:italic
}

Lightens your page and lets you change things later, easily, without
regenerating the site.

best,
-Rob

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 15:31, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> now wth is *this* about?
>
> /home/coar/apache-incubator-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/drafts/glossary.xml:29:63: The content of element type "strong" must match "(code)".
> /home/coar/apache-incubator-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/drafts/glossary.xml:34:51: The content of element type "strong" must match "(code)".
>
> and similar weird messages.
>
> the first line in question is:

> so what's wrong with that?

Easy, the only child element that is allowed inside <strong>
is <code>, i.e definitely not <anchor>
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/document-v11.dtdx.html#strong

How to achieve the result that you want, i do not know.
--David

Re: more validation suckage..

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:31:56PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> now wth is *this* about?
>
> /home/coar/apache-incubator-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/drafts/glossary.xml:29:63:
> The content of element type "strong" must match "(code)".
> /home/coar/apache-incubator-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/drafts/glossary.xml:34:51:
> The content of element type "strong" must match "(code)".
>
> and similar weird messages.
>
> the first line in question is:

> so what's wrong with that?

Anchor not allowed there apparently..

Instead, you can put an 'id' attribute directly on the <dt>:

<dt id="ApacheCon">

--Jeff