Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Je...@manerf.com on 2007/04/05 16:27:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2 hangs once in a while

Hi,

I'm using apache2-2.2.4 to run a website, nothing too special, using a
virtual host, php, mysql, maybe worth mentioning is that I'm using NTLM
authentication but this works fine otherwise.

The problem I have is that the server doesn't respond sometimes. Maybe
this happens after I have done a lot of mysql database requests in a short
time but since I can't reproduce the error by putting many requests in I
think this is not the cause.

access_log shows the requests coming in as usual but error_log keeps quiet
while the client browser (on localhost as well as on another machine) just
waits infinite loading the site.

After some minutes the webserver still won't respond so I have to restart
it manually. Unfortunately this doesn't happen often so it's hard to
remove components like NTLMauth to check whether it has something to do
with it :/

Any hints what other logfiles to look at or anything else?

Cheers
Jens

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 hangs once in a while

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/2/07, Jens.Heinemann@manerf.com <Je...@manerf.com> wrote:
> jslive@gmail.com wrote on 05/04/2007 15:55:23:
>
> > On 4/5/07, Jens.Heinemann@manerf.com <Je...@manerf.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The problem I have is that the server doesn't respond sometimes. Maybe
> > > this happens after I have done a lot of mysql database requests in a
> short
> > > time but since I can't reproduce the error by putting many requests in
> > > think this is not the cause.
> >
> > Here are some instructions on how to debug a frozen server:
> > http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#backtrace-win
>
> Thanks for pointing me there. Actually the server does not lock up anymore
> but sometimes the server times out and comes back after a minute or so.
> I'm using suse and I have like 10 httpd2-prefork processes - how do I find
> out which of them I have to debug?

I'd use a combination of "top" and mod_status' server-status handler.
Unfortunately, the latter can be difficult to access during times when
the server is not responding.

If you suspect that a particular type of request may be causing the
problem, but can't pin down what exactly, you could try configuring
mod_log_forensic and then forcibly kill -9 the server and all child
processes and see what was in progress at the time of death.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 hangs once in a while

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Jens.Heinemann@manerf.com wrote:
>> On 4/5/07, Jens.Heinemann@manerf.com <Je...@manerf.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The problem I have is that the server doesn't respond sometimes. Maybe
>>> this happens after I have done a lot of mysql database requests in a
> short
>>> time but since I can't reproduce the error by putting many requests in
>>> think this is not the cause.
>
> Just for the record if someone else has this problem :)
>
> The temporarly frozen apache was caused by mod_ntlm when it is in NTLM
> authentication mode. After I changed it to BASIC (still checking against
> the active directory) it runs smooth.

You are limited to 10 NTLM/login sessions on a windows desktop os (this
is enforced at the GNI provider layer).  Are you actually running on Windows
Server?  If not this will continue to be a problem for you with ntlm auth.
With windows server, you are limited to whatever number of *authenticated*
connections that specific OS permits.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 hangs once in a while

Posted by Je...@manerf.com.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.