Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/02 15:08:35 UTC

Problem with updating the website

Hi,

I just added myself to the "Who we are" page, regenerated it and
committed the changes. Now I tried to update the website by doing:
  ssh people.apache.org
  cd /www/lucene.apache.org/java/docs
  svn up

It fails with the following message:
  svn: Can't open file 'images/.svn/lock': Permission denied

ls -la images/
  drwxr-xr-x   6 gsingers  lucene   512 Dec 20 19:06 .svn

Grant, it seems you own the directory, but the group doesn't have write
access...

Or am I doing anything wrong?

Re: Problem with updating the website

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

Btw, welcome aboard!  Glad to have such good help!

 From http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/CommittersResources on
the Wiki, see http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/
HowToUpdateTheWebsite

Essentially, all you _should_ have to do is commit your changes to
both the src tree and then, after running forrest, the docs tree and
it will automatically sync the website tonight (gratification
delayed, I know!)

I will add group write, as that is what it should be.  Not sure what
happened to change it.

Thanks,
Grant

On Feb 2, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just added myself to the "Who we are" page, regenerated it and
> committed the changes. Now I tried to update the website by doing:
>  ssh people.apache.org
>  cd /www/lucene.apache.org/java/docs
>  svn up
>
> It fails with the following message:
>  svn: Can't open file 'images/.svn/lock': Permission denied
>
> ls -la images/
>  drwxr-xr-x   6 gsingers  lucene   512 Dec 20 19:06 .svn
>
> Grant, it seems you own the directory, but the group doesn't have
> write access...
>
> Or am I doing anything wrong?

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org

LuceneFAQ

Re: Problem with updating the website

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Also, let me know tomorrow if it doesn't update, as I have sometimes
noticed it doesn't always work and I haven't had time to investigate
it just yet.  It is strange, b/c I then run the same command that is
run by the cron and everything works just fine.

--------------------------

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 2/2/07, Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant, it seems you own the directory, but the group doesn't have write
> access...
>
> Or am I doing anything wrong?

I don't think so.  Everyone should make sure their umask is 002

-Yonik

Re: Problem with updating the website

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : I just added myself to the "Who we are" page, regenerated it and
> : committed the changes. Now I tried to update the website by doing:
> :   ssh people.apache.org
> :   cd /www/lucene.apache.org/java/docs
> :   svn up
>
> just to clarify: is that what you tried because you saw it mentioned in
> the list archives, or is there still documentation somewhere that we need
> to fix?

Hoss,

I indeed found those steps in the archives. However, the documentation
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/HowToUpdateTheWebsite says
correctly that the nightly script updates the site automatically now.
Thanks for pointing me there!

Michael

Re: Problem with updating the website